IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forgotten artists of yesteryear., singers you have a hard time finding music for
Bob from Pa
post Feb 24 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1767

I was having a discussion of old music with a co-worker who is about 45 years old. I mentioned Annette Hanshaw, Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor and the Revelers (I had never heard of the revelers myself until about 2 months ago). She said that she never heard of any of them! I guess that a lot of people under the age of 60 never heard of a lot of the oldtimers.
From what i have learned, the Revelers(a.k.a. the Merrymakers and the Singing Sophomores), sold the most records in the 1920's. Still, i had not even heard of them until recently. I started another thread on the Coon Creek girls -who were pretty popular in their day even performing for president FDR in 1939. Yet- I cannot find much of their music anywhere.
It is a shame that a lot of good old time musicians, have nearly vanished into history.
I did manage to find a person in Australia that made 5 Cd's of the Revelers music (which i purchased) As for the Coon Creek girls I could only find a few tunes on youtube and a couple on the internet archives. I imagine that there are many more old time singers that were once popular but now their works are nearly extinct. (or perhaps just in hiding?) Bob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Mar 10 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Bob from Pa @ Feb 24 2010, 02:21 PM) *
I was having a discussion of old music with a co-worker who is about 45 years old. I mentioned Annette Hanshaw, Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor and the Revelers (I had never heard of the revelers myself until about 2 months ago). She said that she never heard of any of them! I guess that a lot of people under the age of 60 never heard of a lot of the oldtimers.
........ I imagine that there are many more old time singers that were once popular but now their works are nearly extinct. (or perhaps just in hiding?) Bob

Actually, its more like people under the age of 90 aren't familiar with them. Those who are now 60 came of age during the '60s in a world dominated by rock music.

The biggest reason people aren't familiar with them is because, prior to the Internet, there were very few ways for people to even learn that such music and artists ever existed. Those who were fortunate enough to live in a place such as New York City where Rich Conaty has been playing it on his weekly radio program since the 1970s might have had an opportunity to discover it. But those were happy exceptions and were few and far between. I discovered the music as a kid as a result of such a local radio program - and when it went off the air, that was it. No more music other than the precious handful of 78s I owned and cassette tapes I made of the program when it was on the air that I listened to over and over again. Not the very best of circumstances for a genre of music to find an appreciative audience.

Fortunately, today, the music IS out there and IS available for people to listen to. The biggest challenge is simply making them aware that it exists and encouraging them to listen long enough for them to give it a chance. For me, finding the music was like stumbling across and discovering a grand and wonderful lost civilization - and that process of discovery and eagerly trying to take it all in continues for me all these years and thousands of 78 rpm records later. That's why it is important to let people you know who are potentially open to something different know about Radio Dismuke and other sources for this music. Not only does it help keep the music alive and appreciated by a modern audience, you just might start that person down the road on a great adventure that will give them pleasure for many years to come.

+Quote Post
hvickery
post Mar 11 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 482

There used to be a DJ in Chicago name Franklyn MacCormack who played this kind of music on Saturday nights during the '60s. He played dance music from the '20s to the '40s from 11:00 p.m. to midnight and then had "Curtain Call" from midnight to 1:00 a.m. featuring vocalists, etc. from the same period. That's where I first heard a lot of this music.

About 20 years ago there was a show on WBEZ-FM in Chicago called "Tune of the Century." The guy who hosted that played a lot of Annette Hanshaw, and that's where I first became acquainted with her.

--------------------
Hal Vickery

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 12:04 AM