Forum Rules 
> July 1 Board Upgrade
dismuke
post Jul 2 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I have just upgraded the software that powers the message board to the latest and supposedly greatest version.

According to the documentation, most of the changes associated with the upgrade are not supposed to be visible to users - they are mostly security upgrades, bug fixes and upgrades to enable high traffic boards to consume less server resources.

However, my experience as a user on other Invision boards is that the company loves to add all sorts of new "bells and whistles" to the service that are often NOT always desirable - and the tend to turn these things on by default after the upgrade is made. The most obnoxious one I remember merged multiple postings by given user made within in the same thread within so many minutes into a single posting. I HATED that one because it is not uncommon for a person to want to make two different postings with somewhat different points which are still on-topic for the overall thread. I can understand why boards with extremely heavy handed moderation practices might like the feature. But since it is a change, the default should have been to set it as "off" and let those who wish to use it turn it on. Instead, the users on every Invision board I followed at the time had to complain to the owners about the annoying new feature.

If you do see any such obnoxious changes that occur as a result of this upgrade, please let me know.

Generally speaking, I tend to be avoid upgrading software programs that are already working perfectly fine for me and for which I do not have zero need or desire for additional features. The only time I like to upgrade is if it gives me additional features that I will actually take advantage of - and with many programs I uses, that is frequently not the case. Unfortunately, after the hacker attack on the Message Board a few months ago, I don't dare not upgrade to newer versions as they come out as they do include security patches and fixes. For that, I will just have to deal with any unwanted bells and whistles that may come along and figure out how to turn them off.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- dismuke   July 1 Board Upgrade   Jul 2 2007, 12:25 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd December 2021 - 01:44 AM