IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you Organize and Manage Your MP3s?
Roseman
post Mar 2 2017, 03:17 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

I'll admit I don't have a formal system. I have no 3rd party software to index and catalog my music files.

My Windows Media Player is the one source that I have that maintains my digital collection. It's a legacy system
still running on my old XP computer. But it only knows what I load to it in the form of (1) media files and (2) playlists.

Media files are made from ripped cd's, which in most cases are albums. They are tagged by album title and further
indexed into subgroups by genre; i.e. Broadway, Classical, Popular, etc. and within genre by composer or artist.

Playlists are created from downloads of files from various sources. They may consist of a single file or a group
and indexed same as the media files.

I have a significant collection of digit music (300+ gigabytes) and I estimate that some 90% is in WMP control. With
that size library one can only depend on the limited control of the player.

There is no single data base that has all my music nicely organized so that I may search in what ever fashion I desire.
How nice it would be to have such.

And what happens when I want to listen to a particular song and the media player doesn't know about it and I can't find it?
I crank up the old faithful search feature.

That's how I do my music. Tell me about your system.

Don...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 2 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

This is going to be kind of disappointing Don!

My “system” is much inferior to yours. I have a lot of folders named after major players - “Ruth Etting”, “Teddy Wilson”, “Zarah Leander” etc. etc. Anything that doesn't fit tends to go into “Misc US”, “French” or “British 30s” and so on. I keep MP4s separate in “Videos” for short ones, “Concerts” for lengthy ones.

How do I find things? For Al Bowlly I still use the clickable index you created a while back. Otherwise just by memory or by going to YT's search facility and playing afresh from there. Since moving to an unlimited download package (no “cap”) I've become less economical with internet usage and I find that I download MP3s to keep less often.

Nowadays I tend to focus on collecting (as MP4s) good quality modern performances of old music where the performers can be seen in action. Often lifted from TV broadcasts they can disappear from YT for copyright reasons.

Limden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 03:38 PM