Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
matto
post Dec 6 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 340

One of the best places to find vintage records is Ebay.....many of the more common ones can be had rather cheaply ......especially if you keep your head, bid low and wait for the next one if you lose. When shipping 78's always request media mail (about 2.00 + packing materials for 1 record, I charge a flat 4.00).
Matt

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
coonsanders
post May 23 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36

hi

4 me the best place to find 78s are at record collectors conventions where u can actually see the 78 before
you buy them but thats me..........................

coonsanders

+Quote Post
tferbe
post May 24 2006, 03:53 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

I do both and also haunt the thrift shops, flea markets and garage sales constantly. The big problem on Ebay is the shipping charges. Many sellers are opening bids with $1.00 or less but then ask $5 or $6 for shipping. Recently I had the winning bid on three Little wonder records and asked the seller to combine them to save on shipping. He refused and insisted I pay each one separatly which I did but then he mailed them all in one package anyway. You have to be careful and ask any questions before bidding. I also have been stiffed several times and never received the records after sending payment and Ebay is really no help at all in these matters. At least I never spend very much so I can't loose to much either. But I have also on occasion received records that were far better than I expected and have met some very fine people on Ebay so it balances out I guess.

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post May 24 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

I once bid upon and got a E copy of Warings " Button Up Your Overcoat"..............broken in at least two pieces. The nitwit did not put it in a sleeve. I started putting out the word that I really wanted one and one of the people I buy from on Ebay GAVE ME ONE FOR NOTHING.
I still treasure it and it is a quite respectable copy....mabye V++.
Pictureroll biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][size="2"][/size]Cheers From Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

+Quote Post
Protose Vegetabl...
post Sep 9 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 504

Un-rare 78s aren't much trouble to locate. The trick is finding stuff not known (or known not) to have been reissued on CD, especially from the '30s.

--------------------
Paul
2nd Sax Bb Tenor

+Quote Post
redhotjazz
post Apr 24 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 534

rolleyes.gif My fondest memory of my junking days was finding a field recording of Jimmy Powell's Jazz Monarch's on a red Okeh. To bad it was not electrically recorded!

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Apr 26 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #8

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(tferbe @ May 23 2006, 10:53 PM) *
Recently I had the winning bid on three Little wonder records and asked the seller to combine them to save on shipping. He refused and insisted I pay each one separatly which I did but then he mailed them all in one package anyway.

That is outrageous. I would have left negative feedback - once for each record - and given exactly what you said as my reason.

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Apr 26 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

QUOTE(tferbe @ May 23 2006, 10:53 PM) *
Recently I had the winning bid on three Little wonder records and asked the seller to combine them to save on shipping. He refused and insisted I pay each one separatly which I did but then he mailed them all in one package anyway.

QUOTE(dismuke @ Apr 26 2007, 03:09 AM) *
That is outrageous. I would have left negative feedback - once for each record - and given exactly what you said as my reason.

It may not be too late to do this--these items stay up for 90 days...

Eddie the Collector

This post has been edited by victrolajazz: Apr 26 2007, 03:17 PM

+Quote Post
fanof20and30smus...
post Sep 19 2007, 05:34 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 610

im only 34 but i like to find the 78s. the sound is so good on them compaired to the cd releases of the 78s.
i just found some great dance band 78s on brunswick and blue label columbia recently. i look for them all the time.
my uncle got me started listening to the 20s and 30s era music when i was a little kid. i didn't start collecting the 78s till recently cause i thought they could not be found. wish i could run up on some with commericals on them.
i like the commericals on here. the ones from the 20s and 30s not from 1940s-1960s.
oh well i'll never get copies of those. sad.gif

+Quote Post
20s30smusicfan
post Jan 6 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 555

QUOTE(fanof20and30smusic @ Sep 19 2007, 05:34 AM) *
im only 34 but i like to find the 78s. the sound is so good on them compaired to the cd releases of the 78s.
i just found some great dance band 78s on brunswick and blue label columbia recently. i look for them all the time.
my uncle got me started listening to the 20s and 30s era music when i was a little kid. i didn't start collecting the 78s till recently cause i thought they could not be found. wish i could run up on some with commericals on them.
i like the commericals on here. the ones from the 20s and 30s not from 1940s-1960s.
oh well i'll never get copies of those. sad.gif
i want ones not on cd ornot all over the net.

+Quote Post
RichConaty
post Jan 11 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 279

The good news is that most 78s have not, and most likely will never, come out on CD. Rivermont and I have been able to fill three "Big Broadcast" CDs, and a fourth is being planned.

I sell CDs and 78s on eBay (under "mrcrecords"), but haven't bid on any in some time. There are a handful of sellers I know and trust. Others are clueless about how to grade and, as discussed, pack records. Although I haven't been bidding lately, most of my good records have come from Alan Cooperman (http://www.jazz78s.com/), Warren Hicks (http://www.recordsforcollectors.com/) and folks like Jim Prohaska in VJM (http://www.vjm.biz/). Good finds can still be found in junk shops, and people still turn up miraculous stashes of "store stock," but the demographic reality is that you're much more likely to find vinyl and CDs nowadays. Records seem to be going from collector to collector.

I'm so happy to read a discussion about collecting actual records, not just file swapping and downloading. It's an exhilarating hobby, and it needs to be promoted. Good records can be had at a reasonable price, and there is fine, contemporary equipment to give you excellent sound.

This post has been edited by RichConaty: Jan 11 2008, 01:37 PM

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post Jan 11 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

QUOTE(RichConaty @ Jan 11 2008, 08:36 AM) *
The good news is that most 78s have not, and most likely will never, come out on CD. Rivermont and I have been able to fill three "Big Broadcast" CDs, and a fourth is being planned.

I sell CDs and 78s on eBay (under "mrcrecords"), but haven't bid on any in some time. There are a handful of sellers I know and trust. Others are clueless about how to grade and, as discussed, pack records. Although I haven't been bidding lately, most of my good records have come from Alan Cooperman (http://www.jazz78s.com/), Warren Hicks (http://www.recordsforcollectors.com/) and folks like Jim Prohaska in VJM (http://www.vjm.biz/). Good finds can still be found in junk shops, and people still turn up miraculous stashes of "store stock," but the demographic reality is that you're much more likely to find vinyl and CDs nowadays. Records seem to be going from collector to collector.

I'm so happy to read a discussion about collecting actual records, not just file swapping and downloading. It's an exhilarating hobby, and it needs to be promoted. Good records can be had at a reasonable price, and there is fine, contemporary equipment to give you excellent sound.

I also am so happy to see someone talk about REAL 78s....I just bid on a record from Warrens auction, had not heard of him before.........I also LOVE Nauck's auctions and have gotten some GREAT stuff.
Cheers from Dallas,Texas
Jerry F Bacon

--------------------
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][size="2"][/size]Cheers From Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2019 - 06:59 AM