Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad Little Red Riding Hood?, First radio censorship
Roseman
post Jul 9 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

Eddie the Collector contributed an excellent and interesting bit of history about the Jan Garber recording "How Could Red Riding Hood?" in the Jan. 26, 06 Dismuke's Hit of the Week.

A book I'm reading, "Show Biz from Vaude to Video" by Abel Green and Joe Laurie, Jr., indicates that the first radio censorship came into effect with this song.

Station WFAA (Dallas/Fort Worth) decided the line, "How Could Red Riding Hood Have Been So Very Good, and Still Keep the Wolf From the Door?" as "improper and suggestive", so it was given the heave-ho.

Does anyone know of other songs of this period that might have gained this notoriety?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MJJ
post Jul 10 2006, 02:19 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

Someone on here may have a fuller version of this, but I recall reading someplace that Bob Hope got in trouble with the Network's censor's over a line in a script for a radio show.

Kate Smith used the song, "When The Moon Comes Over The Mountain" as her theme for many years, and from what I can recall, the line in the script was to effect, "I wish Kate would get her Moon over the Mountain" (or, "I wish Kate would hurry and get her Moon over the mountain") and it was censored as being "too suggestive."

--------------------
===================
"The Payne Place": http://gpayne2.home.mindspring.com/index.html

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jul 10 2006, 02:30 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 452

I have a Bob Hope rehearsal recording from 1939 that is just barely broadcast-safe today. If any smut got through the final script edit, you can be sure that plenty of it wound up being cut after the rehearsal!

I seem to recall that the lyrics of "Love for Sale" were not considered air-worthy, for some reason.

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Jul 10 2006, 04:11 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

QUOTE(Roseman @ Jul 9 2006, 01:55 PM)
Station WFAA (Dallas/Fort Worth) decided the line, "How Could Red Riding Hood Have Been So Very Good, and Still Keep the Wolf From the Door?" as "improper and suggestive", so it was given the heave-ho.

I think the thing that was objectionable in this record is a verse that is different from other versions. This title was also recorded on Brunswick by the Six Jumping Jacks and Columbia by Al Lentz and His Orchestra and they seemed to have passed muster.

Here are the lyrics of the middle part of the Jan Garber, which was censored:

They say that she was a maid most discreet;
and there is no doubt she must have been sweet;
but you know, and I know that good girls must eat;
How Could Red Riding Hood, Have Been so Very Good
and Still Keep the Wolf from the Door.

Here are the lyrics of the Six Jumping Jacks and Al Lentz versions which, apparently, were perfectly OK:

They say that she found a wolf in Granny's bed;
A big sun-bonnet pulled over his head;
But you know and I know what she found instead;
How Could Red Riding Hood Have Been so Very Good
Still Keep the Wolf from the Door.

Actually, I don't know "...what she found instead", I guess you're supposed to use your imagination. These second lyrics seem more apt to offend the sensibilities of 1926 than the former.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
Jarred
post Jul 14 2006, 01:01 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14

Maybe they thought the lyrics to "Love For Sale" bordered on the promotion of prostitution. Who knows!

--------------------
You can't handle the truthiness!

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jul 14 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 452

It more than bordered--it went over the border and right through customs!

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post Jul 14 2006, 03:38 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

I traded my copy of the Jan Garber to the famous collector in Waco, Eddie the collector some years ago.I found it on an auction not long ago and won it back.
Pianostyle - Dallas,Tx

--------------------
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][size="2"][/size]Cheers From Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Jul 14 2006, 07:32 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

I have a version (an LP transfer of a contemporary 78 rpm record) of "Red Riding Hood" by the comedy duo "Salt and Pepper" (vocals and ukulele). This definitely uses the first version of the lyrics (the one that Garber used) and seems not to have been censored. I guess all record companies were not as sensitive as Victor, a major and rather high-brow label.

Fredrik

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 10:13 AM