> Al Bowlly, - the almost complete collection
Roseman
post Feb 23 2011, 02:47 AM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

QUOTE (limden @ Feb 22 2011, 04:59 PM) *
That's a mighty impressive index Don but it does look as though something ought to happen when I click on a title or Volume/Track and of course it doesn't.

Limden you're right. The file I gave you was just a document file without any hyperlinking to any AB files. I originally thought that Excel would be the only option for this and sort of felt that this might be a serious handicap to those not running Excel. So I worked on a web based app (there's that word again) that should suffice for everyone. There's a little preface work to add it to your computer; but not too technically challenging. Here it is:

Link to this file and save it to your computer as a Web Page, HTML Only. You should see this option when you click save as. Give it a name like ABIndex; for lack of something more original. Be sure to save it somewhere you can find it. I like to use my desk top; and then I delete it when finished.

Now copy and paste or drag this saved file into the folder that containes your Al Bowlly music files that you downloaded. Hopefully you have them all in one folder. If not, I highly suggest that you do so because the index routine searches only the folder it is in. You now have a html document called ABIndex, if you used my suggested name, that has hyperlinks to your music files.

So now when you access your ABIndex file, you'll get an Al Bowlly alphabetized discography that by simply clicking a title it will link to the song and play it in your default media player.

I'll leave these instrucs. with you all; so give it a whirl and let me know your results. I'll be out of pocket for a few days and will respond when I return.

It works on three of my computers; running Windows XP SP1; XP SP3 and Windows 7 (Home Premium). So here's hoping good luck on yours.

Don...

p.s. Don't count on any hyperlinks, other than the song title, to work. I found out, after much wasted test time and effort, that multi-hyperlinking is not supported. So this precludes linking any of the stat sheets that Randy provided.

This post has been edited by Roseman: Mar 11 2011, 04:10 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 23 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #107

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

QUOTE (Roseman @ Feb 22 2011, 09:47 PM) *
Hopefully you have them all in one folder.

Alas, no! Each volume is currently in its own folder. So I'll need to aggregate all the files into one huge folder before trying your app. sad.gif By the way, does Randy know what you have been doing? It would seem to be a terrible pity if he's independently been labouring over something similar.

Still awaiting Volumes 1 (revised) and 2, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 23 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #108

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roseman @ Feb 22 2011, 09:47 PM) *
I'll leave these instrucs. with you all; so give it a whirl and let me know your results. I'll be out of pocket for a few days and will respond when I return.

It works on three of my computers; running Windows XP SP1; XP SP3 and Windows 7 (Home Premium). So here's hoping good luck on yours.

Excellent! I've tried it with so far only the contents of Volume 50 moved into my projected Bowlly megafile and it works! Click on a title from Volume 50 and it plays in QuickTime.

Now I'd like to be a bit cheeky and pose a challenge. Can you develop a Mark 2 version such that clicking on a title plays it in Windows Media Player and right-clicking offers the option "Add to Windows Media Player list"? I'm using XP SP3 and Opera by the way. Just something to occupy you on your return, no pressure!

Still waiting for Randy's Volumes 1 (revised) and 2.

Limden

+Quote Post
laughland
post Feb 23 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Nice little file there Don!
Are you extracting the tag data and generating all the links and such in Excel then? Kudos for you - and thanks for sharing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 24 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #110

Advanced Member

Volume 2 has arrived with the revised Volume 1 promised for later this week.

Limden

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Feb 24 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #111

Advanced Member

Member No.: 473

Vol1 was included with Randy's posting of Vol2.

His post read...

"Well, because you've waited patiently for Volume 2, I'm going to give you Volume
1 this week as well. It's entirely different from the Volume 1 I uploaded many
months ago, as new information has come to light regarding the chronology of
Al's records".

I did a quick scan of the old Vol1 vs new Vol1 and it is very different. In fact it looks as if Vol2 has some of the old Vol1 trks and the revised Vol1 has new trks added to it.

I'll be updating my web file to reflect these new additions and changes and will notify when it's done.

Don...

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 24 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roseman @ Feb 24 2011, 02:43 PM) *
Vol1 was included with Randy's posting of Vol2.

Oops! Don's right of course. How ever could I have failed to see Volume 1 buried below Volume 2?

Anyway we've reached the end at last. I'll set about composing a note of thanks to Randy shortly.

Limden

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 25 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #113

Advanced Member

I've posted the following on the Yahoo! Al Bowlly forum. I don't know why the links appeared in duplicate but never mind!

Randy

Since the beginning in March 2010 I've been bringing the release of each
volume to the attention of Radio Dismuke's Message Board and I know that
a number of the members have been enthusiastically downloading each
volume as it appeared. One member, Roseman, has been inspired to produce
an index to the whole thing - and not just any index but a clickable
index. Click on a title and it plays in your default media player.
Details can be found at
http://www.radiodismuke.com/forum/index.ph...=2725&st=90
<http://www.radiodismuke.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2725&st=90>
starting at Post #103 and there's a demo at
http://www.box.net/shared/jkhdxj61nx
<http://www.box.net/shared/jkhdxj61nx> . Don't rush to install the index
just yet as Roseman will soon be revising it in line with the very
latest releases, Volumes 1 and 2.

At the start I said that your plan seemed too good to be true. Well it
did all happen just as you promised and I'm sure I speak for all the
"Dismuker" Bowlly fans when I thank you for all your hard work.

Now, what we are all longing to know is, once you've run out of tidying
up operations on Bowlly and have taken a well-earned rest, which
recording artist or band from long ago will you be tackling next? It's
going to be hard to think of a subject so worthy of attention as Al
though the quality and variety of his work is surely unparalleled.

Limden

+Quote Post
bob
post Feb 25 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #114

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

Hi Limden

Well it's been a long haul but the Al Bowlly project has come to an end, but well worth all the time and effort. I just finished burning the whole collection, all 1185 tracks to disks in the Mp3 format. Filled up five disks. Listening to them as I type this post. They sure sound great. I would like to thank Randy for making them available. Limden for taking the time to post the download links every week. Also Don Roseman for the click-able
index for Randy's collection.

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
limden
post Feb 25 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #115

Advanced Member

QUOTE (bob @ Feb 25 2011, 04:29 PM) *

I just finished burning the whole collection, all 1185 tracks to disks in the Mp3 format. Filled up five disks.

How quaintly old-fashioned Bob! biggrin.gif I've loaded the whole lot onto a USB memory stick the size of my little finger (and I could have used a MemoryStick card the size of a postage stamp). Wouldn't Al have been amazed?

Thanks for the thanks for posting the links, "it was really no trouble at all" - now which one does that come from? - I've forgotten.

Limden

+Quote Post
bob
post Feb 26 2011, 01:39 AM
Post #116

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (limden @ Feb 25 2011, 03:03 PM) *
How quaintly old-fashioned Bob! biggrin.gif I've loaded the whole lot onto a USB memory stick the size of my little finger (and I could have used a MemoryStick card the size of a postage stamp). Wouldn't Al have been amazed?

Thanks for the thanks for posting the links, "it was really no trouble at all" - now which one does that come from? - I've forgotten.

Limden

I just might buy a memory stick and do the same for an additional backup. I made the disks so I can play them on the stereo or in the car. I'm also sharing my Al Bowlly folder on the home network so it's available wireless on my Internet radio. So you see I'm not to old fashioned and behind the times. biggrin.gif

cool.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
laughland
post Mar 4 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #117

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (missjo @ Mar 2 2011, 09:00 AM) *
Love, love love Mr. Bowlly and am truly excited about these downloads.
Many thanks!

But the links to 31-44 were no longer valid so I didn't get those sad.gif

This post has been edited by laughland: Mar 7 2011, 05:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 18 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #118

Advanced Member

In case anyone else has missed any of the volumes, Randy has posted a complete list of links to each over on the Yahoo Al Bowlly site .

Limden

Edit: Randy's just issued a corrected list of links here . Something to do with re-arranging the order of two tracks in volume 46 and dealing with a "macro" virus in the documentation (whatever that means).

Second edit: Advisable not to rush with anything here as an error has been found in the "corrected list". No doubt there will be yet another version soon!

This post has been edited by limden: Mar 19 2011, 10:51 AM

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 19 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #119

Advanced Member

Ignore my previous post. A corrected CORRECTED list of links to all 50 volumes is here.

Limden

+Quote Post
LloydEwing
post Feb 25 2017, 07:21 AM
Post #120

Member No.: 326

I was amazed to find out that the complete collection of Al Bowlly recordings is still available to be downloaded. Just in case anyone wants the collection and did not get them when they were first available:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/albowll...s/messages/6280

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2019 - 08:51 AM