Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "Wrong Gender" or "Gay Lyrics"!!, Gender Reversal in Lyrics
gregoryagogo
post Nov 20 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

Thanks for all your replys... I'm hoping in the future you will cut and paste the shortcuts to your examples from jazz etc... and place them in your reply. I cant access the jazz site from the library for some reason and it would allow me to listen to your examples instantly when I first read them!!

Thanks!!

I really apprecieate it!

Gregory

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 22 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Sometimes, even if the Male vocal seems to have the correct lyrics (singing to a female), I find that a majority of those male vocals sound "sissy-like"!

Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 24 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Ooooooooooo! Here's another!

Bing Crosby with the Rhythm Boys sings "There's no Sweet Man Worth the Salt of My Tears" along with Paul Whiteman's Orch.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nicko999
post Feb 24 2005, 08:05 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 248

Don Redman with his Orchestra, singing "No One Loves Me Like That Dallas Man" sounds pretty odd, while Sam Browne, with Jack Hylton's Orch, declaiming "I Must Have That Man" is plain embarrassing!

I have only ever heard Noel Coward's "Mad About The Boy" sung by women, but seeing who the composer was I suspect that secretly that actually was a man's song.

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Feb 24 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

And Coward recorded the tune himself. It wasn't issued at the time, but it has been released on CD recently by Naxos Nostalgia.

Fredrik

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post May 9 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Oh my gawd, this week's selection, "Lonesome And Sorry" by Jean Goldkette And His Orchestra, is two men pouring their hearts out to eachother! A duet by two men! Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

http://dismuke.net/musicfiles/howmusic/lon...omeandsorry.ram

Gregory ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ross
post May 10 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 228

Oh! if only Edgar Hoover were around to challenge Jean Goldkette. And with that first name, probably all his music is suspect.

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post May 10 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

OH! Here's a "War Husband" morning for the man of his in the War who "Wears a Pair of Silver Wings" (By Kay Kyser)!

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ram/COLCO32825-2.ram

This version changes his words from "I" to "She"... I distinctly remember the version I had was a man singing about a man...

This is the very first one I remember from when I was a kid... It stood out from a box set of songs of the 1930's and 1940's I that someone gave me... I thought it was odd that this man was pining for his man at War!

Gregory huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeff Stallard
post May 11 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 188

This isn't just a jazz thing. You also hear it a lot in Irish folk music, and consequently American folk music. I highly doubt that there's some social statement being made. It's just people singing songs.

--------------------
In any weather, at any hour of the day or night, I have been anxious to improve the nick of time, and notch it on my stick too; to stand on the meeting of two eternities, the past and the future, which is precisely the present moment; to toe that line.

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post May 11 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

In film and TV, Censors edit out any real gay characters. If ther were there, they were effeminate silly things, or flat out killed or made a victim... Until the last 10 or so years. I guess I just get a kick out of the possibility of a sincere ballad about two guys. I know the likelihood that they were actually singing about a homosexual situation is pretty slim. I still think it's a fun fantasy for me!

With each example we shared here, no one really knows for sure the exact reason they had a male vocalist singing "female" lyrics. All of our perspectives are valid.

Love,
Gregory blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post May 11 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Here's yet another one!

MOANIN' LOW, 1929, LEO REISMAN & HIS ORCH.

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ram/VIC22047-A.ram

Gregory ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jul 14 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

I found another one!!!

"I Ain't That Kind of Baby" by The Midnight Merrymakers (Harry Bidgood's Broadcasters) (Vocal: Bobby Sanders)

This one conjours up a ugly man in really bad drag with a bobb ed hair cut... laugh.gif

Love,
Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
rompnstompn
post Jul 26 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 304

There's a rendition of "I Wonder What's Become of Joe" (great tune !) by the Seven Little Polar Bears ( a Reser combo, I believe), where drummer Tom Stacks turns Joe into a female "Jo", but still wonders if she wonders if he's 'gay' ... not sure the word carried the same connotation as today. On the version of this tune done by Joe Candullo's group, however, the leader sings the straight stock lyrics as though he's a girl singer. I don't think this was thought of as being as outrageous as we might make it out to be today, for some reason (some sort of period naivete, perhaps ?). There's another great version of the tune done by Ernie Golden And His Orchestra, but I can't presently remember if it has a vocal or not.

+Quote Post
Jarred
post Jul 26 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14

The Ernie Golden version is actually on the Dismuke 1920s and 1930s recordings page in Volume III. It does have a vocal and the man is singing about a girl Jo.

--------------------
You can't handle the truthiness!

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Jul 27 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

On the version of this tune done by Joe Candullo's group, however, the leader sings the straight stock lyrics as though he's a girl singer. I don't think this was thought of as being as outrageous as we might make it out to be today, for some reason (some sort of period naivete, perhaps ?).

As far as I've understood things the record companies generally were afraid of changing the lyrics for copyright reasons, and since 99% of all the studio vocalists were men they simply had to sing these lyrics as they were printed.

Considering how common this was, I don't think the record buyers thought very much about it.

Fredrik

PS I'd love to hear the Candullo version - he had a great band!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 10:26 PM