> The "Wrong Gender" or "Gay Lyrics"!!, Gender Reversal in Lyrics
gregoryagogo
post Jul 27 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE(Fredrik @ Jul 27 2005, 06:04 AM)
"As far as I've understood things the record companies generally were afraid of changing the lyrics for copyright reasons, and since 99% of all the studio vocalists were men they simply had to sing these lyrics as they were printed.

Considering how common this was, I don't think the record buyers thought very much about it."

Logically, this is the senerio that makes most sense to me... But I still like my "Gay Lyrics"!!!

Love,
Gregory biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Aug 11 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Here's yet another one! It's by The Travelers which is a pseudonym for the Dorsey Brothers orchestra.

It's "Am I Blue"... the link is at the following website that doesn't allow me to type it's name on this site.

Redhotjazz.com

http://65.45.103.7/Songs/dorseybros/amiblue.ram

Gregory ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hhp1928
post Aug 11 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 296

Just heard a pretty glaring example of this... it's "Ten Cents A Dance" by Jack Hylton, with vocals by Sam Browne. It can be found at:

http://www.jackhylton.co.uk under "Download Music."

They kept the original lyrics, written for a woman vocalist, which include "ten cents a dance, pansies and tough guys, rough guys who tear my gown." As you can imagine, this sounds very strange when sung by a man...

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Aug 12 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(hhp1928 @ Aug 11 2005, 04:45 PM)
"ten cents a dance, pansies and tough guys, rough guys who tear my gown."

I love it, love it, love it!!!!!!!!! wink.gif

Love,
Gregory blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Sep 6 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

...And the latest gay love song is by Bud Freeman and His Orchestra!

Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man by Bud Freeman and his Orch
(from "Show Boat")
(Jerome Kern / Roger Hammerstein) 12-3-1928 Chicago, Illinois Okeh, 41168 http://redhotjazz.com/songs/freeman/datman.ram

Love,
Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Nov 22 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Can't Help Lovin' Dis Week's Selection!

Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man
Royal Music Makers
Artie Dunn, vocal 1927
(Okeh 40985 mx 81959 )

http://dismuke.net/musicfiles/howmusic/can...datmanroyal.ram

Quite Beautiful!

Love,
Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
smushybird
post Dec 31 2005, 07:46 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 372

Hi, Gregory,

The Billy Murray number, "He's a Good Man to Have Around", is one, with great lyrics,

"he's not exactly my idea of
the perfect lover from heaven above--
but what's the difference, the man you love
is a good man to have around."

And I think there are other Billy Murray songs that fit what you're searching for. I downloaded them (legally) from thedownloadplace.com. You can get a membership from them that doesn't require you to pay per song and they do have a fairly good selection of oldies. I've downloaded a number of Murray songs, as well as Annette Hanshaw, Ruth Etting, and so on (usually on the weekends, the selection is best).

Some other things you may be interested in (that you may already know about, but I thought I'd mention them just in case)...

An excellent non-fiction book called "Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World" covers the years from 1890 to 1940, with lots of interesting information on cabarets, night clubs, speakeasies and entertainers in that era who were either gay or were welcoming to gay men and women in New York City. I had a used copy of the book which I bought from Amazon and later donated to the library and I think Amazon still has copies but I don't know for sure. A really interesting and eye-opening book.

The photograph you posted reminded me of the other thing I wanted to mention. If you're interested in the clothing, hair styles, life in general from the early twentieth century, one fun resource is to browse the old photographs on Ebay. Click on Collectibles, photographs, and you can do an even narrower search because a good number of photos are labeled "gay interest". And while most of the photos under that search are pretty innocent photos of guy friends or probably brothers in affectionate poses, there is occasionally a photo of two brave souls recording their relationship for posterity with a more intimate hug or cuddle. They're really sweet photos and as interesting as can be for a reference for clothing, hair, and furniture styles of the '10's and '20's and so on. I go there because I don't really find good resources online with much *detail* on clothing etc for those time periods.

Good luck in finding more music!

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jan 4 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Thanks for all your wonderful information! I will investigate your leads!

Even in these "gay" images from back then, have an innocent quality. I think love is beautiful no matter who is in it!

Love,
Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jan 5 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Homocord?!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregory laugh.gif biggrin.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif unsure.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
matto
post Jan 7 2006, 07:19 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Interesting........ Actually, Homocord was a very popular label in Germany and England in the 1920's. It's a nice name for a label, meaning something like "Same-sound combination".

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
Fredrik
post Jan 7 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

And one of the finest of the German dance bands of the 1920s, "Fred Bird Rhythmicans" recorded for Homocord. Look ut for their stuff!

Fredrik

+Quote Post
MissOriole
post Jan 15 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 275

Hey, Gregory!

Are you familiar with a tune titled "Masculine Women and Feminine Men"? It was pretty popular in the 1920s!

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jan 17 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Yes! Funny you mention it. I only first heard of it like, 2 weeks ago! I think it's a great little tune! Isn't it funny that even bsck then, people were complaining about not being able to tell the sexes apart. I though that was only something that happened in the 1960's and beyond! This is another song that gives me a piece of evidence that in some ways things never really change!

Masculine Women by the Six Jumping Jacks: http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ram/BRUE17975.ram

Love,
Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MissOriole
post Jan 22 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 275

Hey, Gregory, I was just looking at your website, and I love the recording of "I Can't Believe" playing in the background! Which dance band made the recording, and do you know the recording date?
It perfectly matches your little animated icon of the record playing on the gramaphone turntable!

Did you get your sample riff of "Horses" from the Living Era CD "George Olsen and His Music: Beyond the Blue Horizon"? I have that same CD; a great sampling of some of the best and most popular 20's nmusic on disc!

+Quote Post
kay-em-cee
post Jan 22 2006, 07:36 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 387

If you ever read the entire lyrics to "Mad About the Boy" you'll see that each stanza (?) is written from a different perspective, that of a young shopgirl, an older married lady, and a gay man. On another topic, an interesting book for vintage photos of gay couples is "Affectionate Men" by Russell Bush. The photos are remarkable in their variety, and the time period they cover (1870s - 1940s). Also a great resource to see the clothing styles of the era.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:48 PM