Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The "Wrong Gender" or "Gay Lyrics"!!, Gender Reversal in Lyrics
gregoryagogo
post Jan 22 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE(MissOriole @ Jan 21 2006, 06:49 PM)
Hey, Gregory, I was just looking at your website, and I love the recording of "I Can't Believe" playing in the background! Which dance band made the recording, and do you know the recording date?
It perfectly matches your little animated icon of the record playing on the gramaphone turntable!

Did you get your sample riff of "Horses" from the Living Era CD "George Olsen and His Music: Beyond the Blue Horizon"? I have that same CD; a great sampling of some of the best and most popular 20's nmusic on disc!

I got the song from Dismuke's "Hit of the Week". That is an abv. title. The whole title escapes me right now... "I can't believe that you're in love with me"?...

g

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post May 31 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Maybe another reason for is this is if there were women in the orchestra, a girl could get pregnant while recording--being so close toghether and all!

Gregory laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
80rpm
post Jun 2 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 453

Greetings all,
All these postings about gay sounding songs and nothing about lesbians. Can that be because mostly guys collect 78s? I am aware of at least one blatantly lesbian sing, Ma Rainey singing "Prove It To Me Blues". She sings about wearing men's clothes and only liking women. Check it out at http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/Rainey/proveit...itonmeblues.ram

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Jun 3 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

QUOTE(80rpm @ Jun 2 2006, 04:25 PM)
She sings about wearing men's clothes and only liking women.  Check it out at     http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/Rainey/proveit...itonmeblues.ram

There are similar sentiments expressed in the following song by Bessie Smith There'll be a Hot Time in the Old Town Tonite. On the seconds counter it runs from 2:02 to 2:40. Here's a companion article about Ma Rainey and The Prove it on Me Blues, too, Ma Rainey.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
honeybadger
post Jun 4 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 438

How about Sophie Tucker singing "Feathering a Nest"? Lee Morse singing "Don't Even Change a Picture on the Wall" certainly has that feel to it, heh.

Did anyone mention "Help! The Girls Are After Me" By Earl Gresh yet? ("Oscar...was a young cake-eater. No one was neater, or could be sweeter"...) LOL!

+Quote Post
Jarred
post Jun 5 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14

Don't tear my necklace! tongue.gif

--------------------
You can't handle the truthiness!

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jun 6 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 452

"Gems from 'Oh, Kay!'" by the Revelers features what I believe to be a very skilful falsetto voice singing the "female" parts on "Someone to Watch Over Me," "Maybe," and "Do, Do, Do." Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the recording (or any way to host it as a single) but I do put it up on my RADIOLA! station from time to time. Perhaps I'll address the whole gender issue with a theme show this summer. Until that time, I'll upload the sound file back to my station.

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jun 13 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Here's another "Evening Star" perfomance by Paul Whiteman! Can't you just imagine the music video for this one... All three Rhythm Boys pining for their man!

http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/whiteman/evestar.ram

Musically this song is A-OK!

Love,
Gregory dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc Savage
post Jun 14 2006, 01:37 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 257

Hah!
I picture more a Monty Python-like group (like the barber-shop number in their "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" movie) singing their hearts out on this one!
And yes, the tune is kind of catchy!
-Doc

--------------------
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles."- Charlie Chaplin

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jun 16 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

On tonight's RADIOLA! beginning at 7 PM EDT on WHCL-FM I'm devoting the whole program to these recordings. If you miss the broadcast, it will be uploaded to my Live 365 station within the next day or so. Enjoy!

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jun 17 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

I love it! I sure wish I had an internet connection at home to listen! I miss all these special events and broadcasts all the time. Maybe you can make an "On demand" verson and poste it do download?

Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Senior
post Jun 17 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Greg,

I've uploaded the program to my Live365 site where it will run as part of my continuous play archives over the next six or seven weeks--one of these days you should be able to catch it at a convenient time.

As for podcasts and downloads--RADIOLA! is strictly a no-budget operation. (Except for the money I'm sinking into my record collection, of course!)

The program turned out well--it was a fun broadcast.

+Quote Post
2nd Sax Bb Tenor
post Feb 9 2013, 03:16 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1198

QUOTE (80rpm @ Jun 2 2006, 10:25 PM) *
Greetings all,
All these postings about gay sounding songs and nothing about lesbians. Can that be because mostly guys collect 78s?

Mostly guys? It's more like only guys.

I would add that once you get outside of jazz (my first love), blues, and country, it's unusual to find a 78 collector who isn't a gay white male. It seems to be an interest that you come to by way of show music, film music, or sometimes opera.

As far as stereotypical gay male tastes (and I apologize for talking in those terms), 78s hit those buttons and a few more - preservation, by way of vintage phonographs - and the general love of nostalgia for a more elegant and remote era.

What interests your (stereotypical) lesbian might have that connect with 78s, I don't know. They seem not to go back much past the 1960s or 70s, or have so much to do with material/collecting culture.

This post has been edited by 2nd Sax Bb Tenor: Feb 14 2013, 05:18 PM

--------------------
Music is joy. Music shared is joy multiplied.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:48 PM