IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mystery Record - California Ramblers??, Found this at an estate sale in Virginia
Mark Atnip
post Nov 21 2012, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1168

Greetings all.
DivShare File - Techland - Theresa Nash Harrison - Superi.mp3

I found this recording in Virgina and have been unable to nail down the band. (Theresa Nash Harrison is the composer, not the performer) There is a matrix number of N106003 under the label. This fits between two known Perfect recordings on May 1st and May 4th of 1925.

The recording on the 1st of May was Boyd Setner while the recording on the 4th was the California Ramblers.

I think this sounds more like the Ramblers, or at least most of them. First of all, there is a Bass Sax, which according to Rust's Jazz Discography wasn't used in Senter's session of the 1st. IF this is the Ramblers, then the lineup included Rollini (the aforementioned bass sax) as well as Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey (who would have the Trombone feature at 2:12) . Red Nichols and Frank Cush would have been available for trumpet duty. Even if this was recorded using whomever was available at the time, given the recordings that surround it, it was made by musicians that were worth noting, with there being the possibility that it might be a scarcity worth noting.

Any input is appreciated.

Mark in TN.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2nd Sax Bb Tenor
post Feb 10 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1198

After listening, I agree this is a Ramblers affiliated group.

Now about Techland. As this turned up in Virginia, my first thought was of Virginia Tech, and it turns out I was right!

Google revealed that a poem by that name was written by a student named Marion C. Harrison in 1919. I presume Theresa was a sister, mother or wife and wrote a melody to the words.

Note the record's maroon label and orange surface. This reminds us of a "brick wax" Perfect disc, but notice the orange is much lighter. These are in fact VT's school colors.

Finally, the bottom of the label mentions "Plank & Whitsett, Inc., Blacksburg, Va." This was a drugstore in VT's hometown where the record was presumably sold.

The sheet music to Techland is at VT's library site here, but you need a university ID to view it. Do you know any Hokies who can help you out?

This post has been edited by 2nd Sax Bb Tenor: Feb 10 2013, 06:28 PM

--------------------
Music is joy. Music shared is joy multiplied.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 06:40 PM