IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Popeye's Theme Song, Does anyone know the name of that Song?
gregoryagogo
post Jul 9 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

I've heard it many times... Does any one know the actual name of Popeye's theme song?

I bet it has the word "Saylor" in it...

Gregory wink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bob
post Jul 9 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

Hi Greg

Just a guess, but I think it's called " Sailors Horn Pipe"

wink.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jul 9 2005, 09:28 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks, Bob, Darling, Dear...

Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bob
post Jul 9 2005, 09:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

No Problem

Click to listen... http://www.phones4fun.nl/play.php?select=0...0181ail&ty=poly

biggrin.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
bob
post Jul 9 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Correction.....Maybe IT's called "I'm Popeye The Sailor Man" It's one or the other.

huh.gif Bobhttp://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/popeye.htm

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
Flapper Girl
post Jul 9 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

I have always thought it to be "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man". Perhaps the melody was stolen from another song or tune. Many current songs are derived from old folk tunes.

Flapper Girl

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jul 10 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

The Popeye theme song is called I'm Popeye the Sailor Man and was written by Sammy Lerner specifically for the show.

Here's a page where you can hear it: http://www.melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/popeye.html

The "sailor's" Hornpipe is the music clip Bob offered. It is something else entirely - a traditional dance which dates back at least to the 16th century.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jul 10 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

The name of the theme song is not a mystery... The real Popeye mystery is: What was the name of Popeye's nemesis? Was it Bluto or Brutus? Being a big Fleischer fan, I will always know him as "Bluto" :-)

_ _ _

Hey Laughland,

Is that your own site dedicated to the Chuck Jones masterpiece, "One Froggy Evening" ... If so, I would like to shower you with compliments! This website is SO entertaining; I had such a rewarding visit. It's a wonderful tribute to a brilliant cartoon -and all of the sheet music, photos, lyrics and background histories are simply fantastic. If it is indeed your website, you've done a top notch job. Bravo!

I am so proud of myself: I properly remembered ALL of the lyrics (as sung in the cartoon) for the 1906 tune, "Won't You Come Over To My House " -probably my favorite of the eight songs featured.

I wish every Warner cartoon could have its own dedicated website. What a great idea! If you're taking requests, would you ever consider dedicating a site to Freleng's "Three Little Bops" (1957)? Normally, I am not the biggest Freleng fan -I think he was the weakest of the core directors- but some of his musicals were inspired. I also love his "Pizzicato Pussycat" from 1955.

Anyway, thanks again for the great experience...

_ _ _

If I can stray away from the Jazz Age just momentarily, here is some 50's cartoon boogie woogie near and dear to my heart:

Click here to listen to the Warner cartoon "Three Little Bops"

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Jul 10 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #9

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Ian House @ Jul 10 2005, 01:30 AM)
_ _ _

If I can stray away from the Jazz Age just momentarily, here is some 50's cartoon boogie woogie near and dear to my heart:

Click here to listen to the Warner cartoon "Three Little Bops"

That song is actually rather catchy.

I am afraid that I have not heard of either cartoon, the Bops or the Frogs, before. Were they made specifically for television?

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jul 10 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

No. All of the (original) Warner Bros. cartoons were made exclusively for theatrical release... although, of course, they found a beloved home on television years later.

I wish I could be in the same enviable position of never having seen either of these films... but, alas, I have seen each of them dozens -if not hundreds- of times! Both "Three Little Bops" and "One Froggy Evening" are available side by side on the same disc (#4) as part of the Looney Tunes DVD collection (Golden Collection Volume 2) Both of these cartoons can be viewed as normal -or with a commentary track -or with isolated music soundtracks...

from Amazon

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jul 10 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I think there are two. Maybe an opening and a closing. I can hear two songs now that I think about it...

Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jul 10 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Speaking of Popeye, my favorite episode is when all Popeye's nephews were sposed to asleep and instead were playing a hot swing tune on their musical instruments! Catchy little tune!

And my next favorite episode is the one where Popeye is chasing the little jeep. That too, had a catchy little tune...

Then my favorite Popeye moment is the episode where Popeye is teaching Olive how to drive and Olive's head is distracted by a hat in a store window and as the car is moving down the street, her head stays at the window, her neck streching!!! "Oh Popeye, look at that hat"!!!

Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jul 11 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Speaking of Popeye, my favorite episode is when all Popeye's nephews were sposed to asleep and instead were playing a hot swing tune on their musical instruments! Catchy little tune!

And my next favorite episode is the one where Popeye is chasing the little jeep. That too, had a catchy little tune...

Then my favorite Popeye moment is the episode where Popeye is teaching Olive how to drive and Olive's head is distracted by a hat in a store window and as the car is moving down the street, her head stays at the window, her neck streching!!! "Oh Popeye, look at that hat"!!!

I think the episodes you are describing are these:
Me Musical Nephews
The Jeep
Wimmen Hadn't Oughta Drive

And if you would like to watch The Jeep you can right here at this great Popeye website. FWIW, there are more than a dozen other cartoons here as well...

--------------------

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jul 11 2005, 02:39 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Is that your own site dedicated to the Chuck Jones masterpiece, "One Froggy Evening" ...

I appreciate the kind words and all. It's great to hear that you enjoyed it. I have loved this film for as long as I can remember and so it was fun gathering all the various bits and pieces and assembling them into webpages.
I consider this site to be a first draft of an experiment. It's actually a bit incomplete in spots and could be laid out better and I plan to update it sometime soon. Although I haven't decided what to do next after it, I probably will explore some of the music in other LT&MM films in some way so I'll keep your suggestion for Three Little Bops in mind. It is one of my favorite musical Merrie Melodies. My gut feeling is that "Bops" would be a much shorter effort than "Froggy Evening" since it doesn't use very many songs (Charleston and Don't Give Up The Ship come to mind). One idea I had been considering was a look at the musical cartoons by Freleng and your suggestion fits in with that... Another leading contender deals with Carl Stalling's favorite background music choices. TBD at a later date... tongue.gif

Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you know when there is any news...

--------------------

+Quote Post
laughland
post Jul 11 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I am afraid that I have not heard of either cartoon, the Bops or the Frogs, before. Were they made specifically for television?

[Gasps loudly.... ]

I have been accused of being too interested in classic theatrical cartoons but from my vantage point when someone says they have never seen "One Froggy Evening" it is comparable to them saying they had never seen "Casablanca" or "Gone With the Wind"... wink.gif

Actually some people might be amazed with how much cross-over there is between classic theatrical cartoons and the vintage music of the 20s and 30s. They are chock full of musical references to early 20th century music, often with very creative variations. It has been my love of these classic films is what has drawn me to the type of music I can hear on Radio Dismuke.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 06:48 PM