IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's better? 20's or 30's??, What's your preferred decade?
What's better--sounds of the 20's or 30's?
What's better--sounds of the 20's or 30's?
Music of the 20's [ 17 ] ** [70.83%]
Music of the 30's [ 7 ] ** [29.17%]
Total Votes: 29
Guests cannot vote 
drunkstripper
post Feb 13 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 336

It's my strong preference for the music of the 1930's way, way over the sounds of the 1920's that has led me to wonder what others think.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bob
post Feb 13 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(drunkstripper @ Feb 13 2006, 10:35 AM)
It's my strong preference for the music of the 1930's way, way over the sounds of the 1920's that has led me to wonder what others think.

You need to add one more time period to vote on. My preference in music of this era runs between the years 1925 through 1935. I think the best music of both decades was during these years. Just my opinion.

smile.gif Bob

--------------------
The Night Owl
Night Owl

+Quote Post
laughland
post Feb 14 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Honestly, I can't select one over the other so I didn't vote. I guess I haven't spent much thought toward mentally categorizing in terms of the year so I went and peeked over my list of 20s and 30s mp3s to see what I preferred. The result - lots of my favorites are found in both decades. Interestingly enough, the largest concentration was pretty much what Bob suggested - the mid 20s through mid 30s.

Bob knows his stuff... biggrin.gif

[Psst: Hi Blondie!]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gart
post Feb 14 2006, 03:29 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

I would agree with Bob--1925 to 1935. Even '25 may not be as favored because recordings weren't that good. Still there's a lot of happy music in this period. gart

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Feb 14 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

It's really a tough choice. The introduction of electronic recording plays a very important part in the quality and type of music being recorded. There is a lot of really great music even back to the teens but it just doesn't sound as good as the more technologically advanced music. I love all of it and yes I even enjoy later 30s and 40s music as well. Good music is good music no matter when it was recorded. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 14 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Most fads and styles bleed from one decade to the next. I like both.

Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dismuke
post Feb 15 2006, 06:04 AM
Post #7

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(bob @ Feb 13 2006, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE(drunkstripper @ Feb 13 2006, 10:35 AM)

You need to add one more time period to vote on. My preference in music of this era runs between the years 1925 through 1935. I think the best music of both decades was during these years. Just my opinion.

smile.gif Bob

My sentiments as well.

But even after thusly narrowing it down - it is still a pretty interesting range of styles. The music of 1925 has a style that is different from that of 1929 and the stylistic differences between 1930 and 1934 are also noticable. As far as I am concerned, those were the glory days of American popular music.

I think 1925 is a good starting point not just because of the advent of electrical recording. While I love the music of the 1910s and early 1920s, the dance recordings pretty much stuck to stock arrangments which were, very often, not especially imaginative. A lot of ragtime recordings from the 1900s and 1910s have absolutely wonderful music - but often they tend to repeat themselves over and over again as if they are trying to fill up the side of the record. Starting in the early 1920s, the arrangers themselves, started to jazz up how dance band selections were played and that is when I think things started to become really fun and interesting.

To me, the song itself is only part of what makes a recording successful - they WAY the song is performed is, to me, equally important. I have often discovered a recording that I that I thought was wonderful of a song that I was not previously familiar with and then went out and bought as many other versions of the song as I could find only to be utterly disappointed with all of them. It turned out that it was that particular arrangement that I fell for - not the song itself.

And 1935 is a good end date too. While I LOVE some of the sounds of the swing and big band years - Benny Goodman's 1930s recordings on Victor and Artie Shaw's recordings from the late '30s are out of this world - a lot of the stuff from that era was pretty mediocre, in my book. This is especially true once one gets into the early '40. Again, some really great stuff was recorded in that era. But when I pull out a stack of Deccas or blue Vocalions from that era to find some good stuff to include on a Hit of the Week update or a live Radio Dismuke broadcast, I find myself having to quickly reject a far higher percentage of records than I do when I am sorting through pop recordings from the '20s and early '30s. Don't get me wrong - it is worth the effort of sorting through them because there was plenty of good stuff recorded during that period and even the worst of what I reject is far superior to the noise that people listen to today.

As to what period between 1925 and 1935 is my favorite musically - well, that depends on what mood I happen to be in at the moment.

+Quote Post
drunkstripper
post Feb 15 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 336

I started this topic, and while I love the music of this era, I don't have the musical background to discuss it well. Nonetheless, perhaps someone can help me out.

What I don't like about some 20's music is the advertising jingle quality I hear in it. The staccato sound, the high pitched vocals, the goofy lyrics and the sometimes cartoonish way it is performed. That might not sound fair, but that's how it sounds to me at times compared to tunes like Stormy Weather or Blue Moon where the sound is smooth and enveloping. More often than not, when I hear a song I don't like, the notes on the CD will reference the 1920's (although I haven't noticed what years of the 1920's).

So here's my question--do you agree that my description applies to certain years of the 1920's, and if so, have I described a pre-1925 sound? And follow up question is, musically speaking, what changed occurred around 1925?

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 15 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I think your problem is that you miss labeled the catagories. What you are talking about can be pin pointed to a musical style, and perhaps recording technology progress.

Before 1925, things tended to be more tinny and narrow sounding until electricity was used (microphones and amps).

I know there are more "Jazzy" sounding styles and I know that there "Rhythm" is a style of music from the 1920's and 1930's . I self-descovered that "Broadway" could be a style (has a really showy sound). "Sweet" is another.

Maybe some one else can name ALL the styles from our favorite decades!!!

Love,
Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Feb 15 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 381

First off, I unapologetically prefer the 20's music, all I have ever collected--just as I love all the accompanying things of the 20's--the flapper styles, the beauty of what I think is called Art Neuvo, just the overall silliness and frivolity of the era, truly the Era of Wonderful Nonsense. It was a decade given over to fun, which probably didn't bode very well for the 30's, however.

One of the characteristics of 20's music that I think may be objectionable was chronicled wonderfully in the 1974 book Remembering Bix by Ralph Berton, who was the brother of the famous 20's drummer Vic Berton. He was 12 when Bix was 20, and was tremendously impressed with Bix, as he should have been, but he almost exclusively liked jazz. His description of the typical 20's sound that he disliked was that it "rocked"--not in the current sense, but because of the afterbeat used in 20's music, it gave a rhythm of rocking back and forth. I'll have to admit that's true, but don't really object to it. Also, the use of the banjo, which was almost totally dispensed with by the early 30's, harks back to the earlier time of ragtime music. As to the music sounding cartoonish, it should--the very same orchestras, specifically Aby Lyman's, were used to furnish background music for a series of cartoons in 1930-31 called Vitaphone Merrie Melodies. All these cartoons were named after popular tunes of the day, i.e. Red Headed Baby, Freddy the Freshman, Turn on the Heat, etc. The archtype of these cartoons is It's Got Me Again, which actually has the mice dancing on the turntable of a wind-up table model phonograph, with a cat as the villain. These cartoons almost always have good jazz intervals, too.

As soon as 20's music had passed, I think it was generally regarded by the public as one of the quaintest sounds that had ever existed. By the 50's, you hear all kinds of attempts to recreate it and they are all laughable--they are just caricatures of the music.

+Quote Post
matto
post Feb 19 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 340

Hello,
I Like music from the 1924-1938 years, there are favorite songs from each year of that span. If I had to narrow it down, my favorite years are 1929-1933. Tunes that fuse sweet and hot elements with peppy and syncopated rhythms really get me moving.

Sweet music, hot music and "cartooney" music can be found in both the 20's and 30's. Leo Reisman recorded throughout the 20's, his music is usually sweet and sophisticated. McKinney's Cotton Pickers cut their first disc in 1928, and they have a hot, yet sophisticated sound. The Six Jumping Jacks (Harry Reser) recorded in the 1920's and 1930's and their music has a fun, although a bit cornball sound.

The bottom line is that it is short sighted to pigeon-hole music of any decade because you could be cheating yourself out of a great musical experiance.

Matt

--------------------
Matt "The Ol' 78 Maestro" from College Station.

+Quote Post
birdible
post Feb 19 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 289

I have to agree that i enjoy both the 1920's and 1930's. I also agree with alot of you that the highlight period would be 1925-1935 but I would add 3 years so it was 1925-1938.

+Quote Post
recordfreak61
post Feb 19 2006, 04:52 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 399

It is a tough choice, as there is so much wonderful music from both decades, but I tend to favor the music from the "Electrically Recorded" mid to late 1920s....Call me crazy, but I just love that bass heavy sound of those early electrics! I am so delighted to find Radio Dismuke--- Cheers, everyone!

+Quote Post
Vladimir Berkov
post Feb 22 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 181

I would say that basically the entire jazz-pop interwar era is good. From about 1922-1939. If I had to pick one time from I like the most it would be 1924-1928

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Feb 23 2006, 01:34 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

One of the interesting things I felt when viewing that DVD, "More American Film Archives is the Idea that no matter what era is your favorite, life just keeps plugging along. New inventions, new ways of doing things, but basically we all are trying to make it, survive, and take time to dance and enjoy life too!

Gregory wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 04:43 PM