> New Archival System
Roseman
post Feb 27 2011, 03:32 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

To all members,

As a consequent of the board receiving several new links to music sites and request of variable natural about individual songs, the message board has/can become rather laborius in trying to keep up with it all. Even more so when one is not visiting daily but wishes to catch up with post that may have some potentially interesting data.

I thought about this and wondered if there might be a way to glean and archive post and put them into one location for members to use as a catch up forum on what transpired while away plus it could also be a place to hold interesting post for future reference.

I spent a little time and came up with a system that seems to work and is simple to maintain. Here's a preview of what I think a sample page of this archived data might look like.
Dismuke Msg Board Selected Links Archives

The upper part of the page is for interesting music links and sites that members find and want to post. A subsequent lower part of the page can reflect unique and individual songs that members post. It's an active page in that tags are encoded and as a result one can hyperlink to the sites by clicking the pertinent data field. There is also a msg link column that you can use to refer back to the originating post. If there's more than the original post involved than a column is provided for a relational link. I put a couple in for you to see what I mean.

This is still in a development stage and certain guildlines would have to be established. Having Dismuke approve of the project and maybe having him put a separate entry on the forum page. Creating the method and procedure of who, how and when entries are added and/or removed. Since the only way we have of updating the board is with addition of messages, I foresee that this would have to be an external function by some one and then the updated page provided to the board as an accumulative message each time.

Give me your feedback. I welcome all comments. I don't want to make this seem complicated and it really isn't. But I think it would be a good enhancement to the board. I know of no other site, blog or whatever out there that has the flexability and uniqueness that this board offers. We are not a YouTube or a music streaming site or a blog with one way activity, we are a collection, distribution and sharing group for our own mutual musical interest and knowledge and all the roads that it may lead us down.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Mar 16 2011, 01:00 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2nd Sax Bb Tenor
post Mar 1 2011, 12:45 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1198

Great idea Don. I have to admit tho - I didn't understand what you were getting at until I clicked the link.

See, you said it was a way to "glean and archive posts." We have View New Posts for that.
But what you're proposing is actually rare in the world of web boards - you're gleaning the links to remote content.
Especially in our type of interest, that would be a real boon - it would help folks find content regardless of whether they happened to click the thread.

Very very good idea - now let's see if anyone can make it happen...

--------------------
Music is joy. Music shared is joy multiplied.

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 1 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks 2nd for the feedback. Sorry if I came across unclear in my opening remarks. I can be a little verbose at times with my post. My intention was to give some preparatory remarks for my proposal. But then you found the link and that helped illustrate my point.

QUOTE (2nd Sax Bb Tenor @ Feb 28 2011, 07:45 PM) *
See, you said it was a way to "glean and archive posts." We have View New Posts for that.

I don't use this feature, it requires one to be logged on, but it would work as you said. I prefer to use 'Todays Active Topics' because these stay viewable for 24 hours and doesn't require a log on. I'm glad you mentioned the 'New Post' feature. I'll keep it in mind when I've had an extended absent.

QUOTE (2nd Sax Bb Tenor @ Feb 28 2011, 07:45 PM) *
Very very good idea - now let's see if anyone can make it happen...

Being the one that proposed the idea and developed a working model, I guess I'm that one by default. I've emailed Dismuke on this matter and knowing he's quite busy right now, I'm hoping to get his feedback sometime soon and then we can see how to proceed.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Mar 11 2011, 03:34 AM

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 6 2011, 01:43 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

It's been several days now and I've not heard back from Dismuke on this matter, so I'm assuming he's not going to reply and/or has no interest. Also, save for the one reply, this idea seems to be one that few others have litle interest either.

But to make one last selling point, here's a post by Gart from a few months back, where if this feature had been up and running then he could have certainly benefitted from it. The lost files he was concerned with could have potentially been found in the archive post.

So for those that want to make a review of the archive post, here's the current test file as of today. Note, that a new section has been added to the file, that being 'Misc Music Webb Stes'.

If there's no interest, then I'll pull the file and suggestion.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Mar 11 2011, 03:36 AM

+Quote Post
limden
post Mar 6 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 366

It's not exactly a lack of interest Don, more a case of being overwhelmed with new discoveries and also at the same time pondering over certain tracks among the Bowlly Collection. Seems like a useful idea - so long as you do all the work biggrin.gif .

Limden

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 6 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Ah, Limden, my friend, thanks for helping to highlight another reason for the 'Archive'. One may feel 'being overwhelmed' with having to explore all the new discoveries, but they won't feel a need to rush because they think the post may disappear or they may forget and it vanish into forgotten-post-land. (What ever and where ever that is).

The 'Archive' can be the one source to return to find that link you wish to dwelve into a little deeper and do it when convenient.

I'ld like to hear from some of you others too on this matter. Bob, Laughland, Terry, anyone else, speak up and let me know your thoughts. Please... sad.gif

Web Page Vers.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Mar 16 2011, 01:03 AM

+Quote Post
laughland
post Mar 7 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Don,
Your archive project looks very nice - its a neat idea but to be honest I dont think Id use it much. However I'm not entirely clear on what your goals are for it and I do realize that I might not really be the intended audience so I could be way off here.

I visit this board a few times a week and whenever a useful link is posted on the board I tend to bookmark it and then I never need to find it here again. When a song link is posted I download it immediately because those do not remain active long term. I've posted many such links to recordings over the years here and most are them are now long gone. I'm inclined to say that people should get these songs by following the board on a regular basis themselves. If I need to find something again Ive had very good luck using the technique Gregory described using Google's advanced search to relocate items from the past. In fact I have a bookmark for that which automates the process. So it's due to my browsing habits that I might not benefit much from your idea.

So while I may not use it, Im sure that others would find your archive page very handy especially for someone who doesnt visit the board often. But part of me worries that a concise organized file like you offer may lead to fewer people actually reading or participating in the board theyll bookmark your file instead and just go there to get the latest links and downloads. It would be great if there was a way that this archive somehow could make the board more active than it is today.

Of course if you like the idea of creating the archive and find it helpful, I don't see any reason that would need an official OK from anyone you can maintain it and offer it to others however youd like - put a link to it in your signature perhaps. If you are having fun putting the archive together that might make the effort worthwhile alone.

This post has been edited by laughland: Mar 10 2011, 01:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 8 2011, 02:31 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Laughland,

Thanks for the feedback. Views like yours are exactly what I needed to know - I don't want to view this project just from my angle.

I realize that it will be useful to some and not to others. I too do like you, bookmark/save that which I deem interesting and useful. One quickly learns that in this inter-net world, things are here today and gone tomorrow. So you better save it when you see/hear it.

As far as the 'Archive' damping the participation, I would tend to think not. As for the current membership, there's always been a core group that seems to do the majority of posting, with a few others adding random post, but I sense that there are many others that still participate just by looking in to see the latest and not adding any comments. It's strickly an elective social commitment anyway and one can do as they wish. And this is all ok.

As for future members, you'll always have those that join up and stay until they get their fill and then move on. And if the archive should entice someone to hang around the board for it only, just maybe they might stumble across something here to cause them to join. So that can't be to bad.

I think that the diversity of interest amongst us in this seemily obscure musical endeavor tends to divide our attention and we each follow a certain path and sometimes we are along. This message board has been a home base for many of us and we still like to 'hang around' and share our common interest, while others elect to go elsewhere. So I guess it's up to us to generate participation when we can.

Yes it would be great if the archive could create more participation. But I don't know how it can just on it's on.

As for the archive, I may have failed to mention about the 'Misc. Music Webb Sites' section. This is primarily sites that don't exactly fit into the main stream of what we normally see via the board. This portion of the archive is to be 'member suggested' and I solicite participation. You can PM me or just add a post to the thread and I'll catch it.

Don...

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Mar 16 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Click for an updated 'archival page'.

New item of interest is The Ragged Phonograph Program in the Musical sites and Links section that was submitted by laughland. A great resource for early 20th century recordings.

Also while in this section, check out the latest Riverwalk Jazz. An hour of music and mirth about the International Sweethearts of Rhythm: America's #1 All-Girl Band.

A new section 'Customized Music Players and Sites' was added. Check this out to see some different methods that I like to create and employ in enjoying this music hobby of mine. Combing skills from my pass vocation with my avocation.

Don...

This post has been edited by Roseman: Mar 18 2011, 12:11 PM

+Quote Post
Gart
post Jun 15 2011, 06:08 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

Don, Excellent idea. I'd love to find stuff faster and easier. So much good stuff is posted here but there's no way i could bookmark it all like the laugher! Wow!

BUT...I could not open any of your archive links to take a look. What am I doing wrong? If I provide an e-mail, could you send me a link or must it be on the board? thanks. Gart

+Quote Post
Roseman
post Jun 15 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Hello Gart,

Sorry that the link was not available. I use a free file hosting site and they limit how much bandwidth one can have and I had exceeded my limit and consequently they suspended my account. I have now rectified the problem and the file should be available.

Thanks for the inquiry and hope you explore the various sites I've added to the archive link.

Don...

Archival Link

This post has been edited by Roseman: Sep 6 2011, 12:27 AM

+Quote Post
Gart
post Jun 15 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

QUOTE (Roseman @ Jun 15 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Hello Gart,

Sorry that the link was not available. I use a free file hosting site and they limit how much bandwidth one can have and I had exceeded my limit and consequently they suspended my account. I have now rectified the problem and the file should be available.

Thanks for the inquiry and hope you explore the various sites I've added to the archive link.

Don...

Archival Link

Don--Got in okay. That's impressive. It'll take some time to explore, but thanks for this great resource. Gart

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 12:29 AM