Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO FLATTEN A WARPED RECORD
victrolajazz
post Jun 1 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

I came across a record a couple of days ago that I've had for many years, but when I first got it, it could not be played until after the first 4-5 revolutions it was so badly warped--it would simply throw the modern tone arm off the record. My long-time record collector friend Mr. Gottlieb told me of this solution, I used it to advantage, so I'd like to pass it along in case you have a couple of warped records or find one that's worth while other than having some warpage. Unfortunately there's an exception--this will not work with the laminated records, i.e., Columbia/Okeh Electric/Harmony, et al.

You need two pieces of glass 11-12" square. Pre-heat your oven to its lowest temperature--150 is usually the lowest numerical reading, but there's a level below that for "Warm", that's the one you want. Place the record between the glasses, put them on the UPPER shelf with the most-warped side visible. Don't close the door, but stand there and watch the process--it takes a very short time once the glasses get warmed. When the record becomes pliable and the top glass flattens, turn the heat off. Do not touch or move anything until the glasses have once again reached room temperature, then your record will be perflectly flat again! One time I removed the glass too soon and the record was still pliable--I put the glass back for another hour or so and there was no harm done, but it's not worth the risk.

I once had a close call involving heat and a record: I foolishly left an un-sleeved record in a car that was going to be worked on at the dealership in Texas in August. They finished the work early, parked the car outside shortly after noon with the windows rolled up. When I got into the car, the record had perfectly conformed to the curvature of the seat! I had several large library books in the car, so I very gently eased the record onto the top of one, placed it on the floor and placed another book on top of it for the remainder of the day and night and everything worked out OK. Oh by the way, the title of the record that got too much heat--Vincent Lopez's "Plenty of Sunshine"!

Eddie the Collector
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Jun 1 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 308

I use the same method except I wait for a warm, sunny day and let the sunshine do the work. Sort of solar powered I guess. Take it from an old appliance mechanic, oven thermostas vary considerably and if you mis-guage the temperature you can do more damage to the record.

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Jun 1 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tferbe @ Jun 1 2006, 02:27 PM)
oven thermostas vary considerably and if you mis-guage the temperature you can do more damage to the record.

You're exactly right--and your method is free, too! That's why I tell people to keep a watch on the whole, very brief, process.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jun 2 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I love it! I always thought warped records were lost forever!

Greg wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Jun 3 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(gregoryagogo @ Jun 2 2006, 11:18 AM)
I love it! I always thought warped records were lost forever!

Greg wink.gif

Not lost at all, Greg. Next time you find some warped ones offer the guy ten cents a record, take them home and apply this method and they come out flat as when they were brand new. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
pictureroll
post Jun 13 2006, 03:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 416

A good and dear friend of mine has quite a passion for Peggy Lee records and even when they are almost flat puts them on the street and runs over them with his 53 Buick Skylark. It seems to remain a mystery with him that they seem to break at that point.
One time the record flew into a neighbors dining room while they were having lunch.
Cheers
Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

--------------------
[font="Book Antiqua"][/font][size="2"][/size]Cheers From Dallas,Tx
Jerry F Bacon

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Jun 13 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(pictureroll @ Jun 12 2006, 09:21 PM)
puts them on the street and runs over them with his 53 Buick Skylark. It seems to remain a mystery with him that they seem to break at that point.

I've done the same with Frank Sinatra records, too! Actually the breaking is no mystery at all--THAT'S THE POINT! It was a mistake with the Sinatra records--they doubled in value during the week after he died--they began costing 10 cents a piece from then on...

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Jun 13 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

You guys!
g wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tferbe
post Jun 13 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Fear not Greg, these heathens will be condemed to purgatory where they play nothing but Jesse Crawford music for eternity. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
victrolajazz
post Jun 13 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tferbe @ Jun 13 2006, 03:38 PM)
Fear not Greg, these heathens will be condemed to purgatory where they play nothing but Jesse Crawford music for eternity. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

...that would not be seen as punishment for Jerry F. Bacon, I can assure you! Now maybe a Doris Day on an off-center red Columbia--on a geared-down one-speed record player with an ugly brown metal tone-arm that would not run above 75 RPM...and whose mechanism would make a faint clicking noise every revolution.

Eddie the Collector

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Jun 13 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

QUOTE(victrolajazz @ Jun 13 2006, 04:28 PM)
Now maybe a Doris Day on an off-center red Columbia--on a geared-down one-speed record player with an ugly brown metal tone-arm that would not run above 75 RPM...and whose mechanism would make a faint clicking noise every revolution.

Come now Eddie,

You don't have to throw in all those technical glitches to ruin Miss Day's voice! ... If her records ever had your Buick tread marks crisscrossing against the grooves ...well, then... Que Sera, Sera I guess.

Whatever will be :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
calliesdad
post Jun 28 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 759

QUOTE(victrolajazz @ Jun 1 2006, 12:18 PM) *

You need two pieces of glass 11-12" square. Pre-heat your oven to its lowest temperature--150 is usually the lowest numerical reading, but there's a level below that for "Warm", that's the one you want. Place the record between the glasses, put them on the UPPER shelf with the most-warped side visible. Don't close the door, but stand there and watch the process--it takes a very short time once the glasses get warmed. When the record becomes pliable and the top glass flattens, turn the heat off. Do not touch or move anything until the glasses have once again reached room temperature, then your record will be perflectly flat again! ...Eddie the Collector

This is my first post here, and I goofed. Hope the admin's fixed my first reply that had only the quote present!

Anyway.... I have used this method as well as the "sunlight" method (which only works in South Carolina from April to September, by the way - sun not hot enough rest of the year) very successfully. But I cannot caution too strongly about taking them out of the oven JUST as they "collapse" to flatness. I had some stick to the glass!

Also, be SURE the records are as spotless-clean before beginning the process. Also that the glass is clean of dust, greasy fingerprints, etc. All those will/can become part of the record once the procedure is completed.
Bill

+Quote Post
Guest_mosherj_*
post Aug 4 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #13

Guests

Tried this method to great success with a totally taco'd car boot copy of Status Quos 'Quo'. It was playing perfectly within two hours. Ive also used the glass method but instead of the oven (accidents can happen), I just left the whole lot out in the summer sun for a half day. Admittedly, living in the UK, the oven is probably the best option as summer sun is rare at best.. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_mosherj_*
post Aug 4 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #14

Guests

Thats SACRILEGE!!! Sinatra, Mozart, Boney M, Napalm Death. Its all music that works it charm in various ways for various moods, I love it all. If you're going to check on the grip potential for a vehicles traction using vinyl, use a Kylie Minogue LP. Likewise hang a Bet Midler LP over the hearth to keep children away from the fire. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 04:13 PM