Music from the show
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnWells
post Sep 14 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 500

Very nice posts to You Tube...thanks for sharing them with us! I liked the film clip you posted earlier that included Don Wilson 'dancing'. Funny stuff.

Jack Benny was my all-time favorite. If any other Dismuke posters would be interested, Laura Leff has organized a fantastic organization to keep Jack Benny's memory alive. The International Jack Benny Fan Club website:

www.jackbenny.org

--------------------
Accept Yourself. Respect Others. Live Simply. Relax Daily.[font="Century Gothic"][/font]

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Sep 14 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

What is the actor who is at the magazine stand / the ad for cigs...

...the guy made a career of playing clerks and is known for starting out by saying, Y-e-e-e-s-s-s?!!!

I was just talking about him to a guy I know at the gym that looks just like him! He was on "I Love Lucy" a couple of times...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack Benny was pretty funny, and I love him, but I also love "Fibber McKee & Molly too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the vocal group on the Jack Benny Program was called "The Kings Men"... They recorded with the Paul Whiteman band...

http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/whiteman/tophat1.ram

http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/whiteman/tophat2.ram

Love,
Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gart
post Sep 14 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

Gregory--Wasn't the actor you're trying to place also appeared in Our Miss Brooks. Gale Gordon?

Gart

+Quote Post
JohnWells
post Sep 14 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #5

Gregory,

The actor you are thinking of is the late Frank Nelson. He'd usually play a store clerk; Jack would run into him while shopping. A usual encounter:

Jack: "Oh, pardon me. Are you the floorwalker?"
Frank Nelson: "Who do you think I am with this carnation in my lapel? A left over parade float?"

The Sportsmen Quartet was featured on the Benny show for many years. They had many clever songs advertising Lucky Strike cigarettes.

Billy Mills and the Kingsmen were, I believe, on Fibber McGee and Molly.

John

--------------------
Accept Yourself. Respect Others. Live Simply. Relax Daily.[font="Century Gothic"][/font]

+Quote Post
gregoryagogo
post Sep 15 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Thanks! I just love him!

Now that guy at the gym turns to me and says, "Yesssss?!!"

What a fun running gag!

More information on Frank Nelson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Nelson

Love,
Gregory

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnWells
post Sep 16 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #7

Milt Josefsberg wrote a fascinating biography about Jack Benny many years ago. ("The Jack Benny Show", Arlington House, c1977) One of my favorite stories concerns the Benny radio show of January 8, 1950. Very early in the show, Don Wilson was to say that he KNEW something was correct because "he read it in Drew Pearson's column". Well, Don flubbed the line and said, "I read it in Dreer Pooson's column". Picking up the story, quoting Josefsberg:

".....it (the Dreer Pooson flub) happened in the opening lines of the show. The program was to end with a scene where Jack went to a swanky hotel to meet someone. And prior to entering the hotel, Jack was to talk to the doorman played by his arch-enemy, Frank Nelson, who hated Jack in every role that he played. In this scene, Nelson was the doorman at the hotel and Jack was to open the conversation by asking, "Excuse me, are you the doorman?" And Nelson would sneeringly say, "Well, who do you think I am in this red uniform --- Nelson Eddy?"....Nelson shattered Jack's composure when he answered, "Well, who do you think I am, Dreer Pooson?" The new answer not only undid Jack, but it had the same hysterical effect on the cast, crew, and musicians...."

(Of course, the Nelson line was NOT an ad-lib, but the result of some rapid re-writing in the booth). Jack Benny was notorious for having the BEST writers and for being an easy target.

Meant to mention, too, that the International Jack Benny Fan Club has a link to a commercial that Frank Nelson did for McDonald's. On the home page (www.jackbenny.org), click on the link.

John

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian House
post Sep 16 2006, 02:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 85

Hey,

Let's not let Mary off the hook with her famous "Chiss Sweese" sandwich goof-up...

I have to agree with the sentiments here; Jack Benny and his entire cast were absolutely top drawer! I would love to someday string all of the Don Wilson / Sportsmen Quartette songs together into one long mp3 file...

And, of course, I adore all of the Frank Nelson performances on the Jack Benny program ... but he was also a brilliant contributor in several of the early Flintstones episodes as well.

Great stuff :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ed Vasicek
post Sep 16 2006, 03:12 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 233

I am a big Jack Benny fan. He is the best comedian of all time in my book. Both the TV and Radio show are hilarious, but the radio show is a bit funnier.

A great place to get all the available radio shows on MP3's for cheap is <www.otrcat.com>
This is a great source, and I have found the MP3's work better from this source than other sources I have tried.

They are "undoctored," but cheap (about 50 shows for $6); such a steal.

If you want them remastered, Radio Spirits is the place to go -- but they cost a whole lot more
<www.radiospirits.com>

I have over 800 Jack Benny shows (or shows where he appears). My kids grew up listening to them (and Burns and Allen and Philip Marlowe and Life of Riley) every night as they went to bed.

I too love Frank Nelson and Mel Blanc on the show, although Dennis Day and Phil Harris can be really funny.
wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 12:12 PM