Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's do the breakaway, Get hot and shake away
Dismuke's Message Board > Dismuke's Message Board > Early 20th Century Popular Music
sterlingtimes
Re: Let's do the breakaway, Get hot and shake away

Sadly, this song has been removed from the current Radio Dismuke play list.

I can't find out much about it from Googling, apart from some references to the sheet music.

Can anyone shed any light on the song? Is the breakaway a dance?

This song was used by the theme tune to a BBC Radio 4 programme, Breakway, about holiday and leisure.

I did find an instrumental only version by searching these fora, but I'm interested in the sung version.

P.S. I'm a secret Radio Dismuke listener. My wife listens to rap and other vile music and thinks that my musical taste is very strange.
Aaron2006
Here are three versions I know of.

Jack Hylton's Orchestra - 1929

Layton and Johnstone

Pasadena Roof Orchestra - Sample from Amazon

It was the theme song to 'Fox Movietone Follies of 1929', and also a popular type of dance. Here is some info on it.

The Breakaway Dance

gregoryagogo
It's OK! You are among friends here! Your wife is the one with the strange taste in "music".
g wink.gif
sterlingtimes
Thank you, Aaron. That was a superb posting.

I have been listening to Breakaway over and over again this evening.

QUOTE(Aaron2006 @ Jul 17 2007, 11:49 AM) *
Here are three versions I know of.

Jack Hylton's Orchestra - 1929

Layton and Johnstone

Pasadena Roof Orchestra - Sample from Amazon
It was the theme song to 'Fox Movietone Follies of 1929', and also a popular type of dance. Here is some info on it.

The Breakaway Dance

derekpara
QUOTE(sterlingtimes @ Jul 17 2007, 01:42 PM) *
Thank you, Aaron. That was a superb posting.

I have been listening to Breakaway over and over again this evening.

The Jack Hylton version was used by Brian Rust as the signature tune to his weekly 1970/80s BBC radio programme, 'Dance Music and All That Jazz.' A great programme and a great enthusiast.
matto
QUOTE(Aaron2006 @ Jul 17 2007, 05:49 AM) *

The Breakaway Dance

Too Bad "Fox Movietone Follies of 1929" was burned in a vault fire in the 30's and is thought to be lost.
coonsanders
QUOTE(matto @ Jul 17 2007, 08:06 PM) *
Too Bad "Fox Movietone Follies of 1929" was burned in a vault fire in the 30's and is thought to be lost.

hi
i have this tune by george olsen....its neat...

coonsanders
Ed Vasicek
The Royal Society Orchestra (Don Neely) does a great remake with the 3 Jesters singing (sort of like the Rhythm Boys) on their CD, "Ain't That A Grand and Glorious Feeling." You can purchase their materials via: http://www.rsjo.com/record.html The Royal Society Jazz Orchestra website.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.