Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Chant and Henderson Stomp
Dismuke's Message Board > Dismuke's Message Board > Early 20th Century Popular Music
hvickery
One thing not noted in the description of the Fletcher Henderson sides in the Feb. 28 HOW site is that Fats Waller is the organist on "The Chant" and solo pianist on "Henderson Stomp." I believe both tunes were also written by Waller.
bflat879
QUOTE(hvickery @ Mar 4 2008, 09:46 PM) *
One thing not noted in the description of the Fletcher Henderson sides in the Feb. 28 HOW site is that Fats Waller is the organist on "The Chant" and solo pianist on "Henderson Stomp." I believe both tunes were also written by Waller.

On the Henderson Stomp, I believe the piano is a duet with Waller and Henderson. The Stomp was written by Waller, I'm not sure about "The Chant" but I could check on it, since I have a copy of it somewhere.

There was an interesting story about Henderson paying a restaurant bill for Mr. Waller, which was why he, supposedly, rendered his instrumental abilities to these 2 songs.
Andy Senior
"The Chant" was composed by Mel Stitzel. It was most famously recorded in 1926 by Jelly Roll Morton and his Red Hot Peppers.

The legend about Fats Waller at the burger stand is that he wrote 12 tunes for Fletcher Henderson--one for each hamburger Henderson paid for!

I suspect one of these might have been "Tozo!" which was credited to Henderson, with the lyric by the elusive "M A Cowdery." I'm trying to find out just who this "Cowdery" was--the best lead I have is that it was the Harlem Renaissance poet Mae V. Cowdery, who was about 17 when "Tozo!" was recorded. Any further information on this point will be gratefully acknowledged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.