Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Al Bowlly
Dismuke's Message Board > Dismuke's Message Board > Recommendations
Pages: 1, 2, 3
limden
Seems too good to be true, so there might be a catch yet to emerge, but an almost complete collection of Al Bowlly's work as mp3s is promised in the March 28 posts here . And all for free!!

I've succeeded in downloading the first two volumes, 1 and 50, but haven't yet had time to thoroughly check them out.

Is it conceivable that copyright-holders to some of the CDs which Randy Skretvedt has used might emerge and put a stop to this wonderful enterprise?

Limden
bob
Nice find. Good quality recordings at 128kbs. 48 downloads to go. cool.gif

smile.gif Bob
laughland
This does look very interesting. I hope the volumes keep coming.

Hmm... is this right - the final song Al recorded was called When That Man Is Dead And Gone ? huh.gif

Anyway, thanks for the tip Limden!

limden
QUOTE (laughland @ Mar 30 2010, 09:07 PM) *
Hmm... is this right - the final song Al recorded was called When That Man Is Dead And Gone ? huh.gif

Indeed it's right laughland. It was That Man (Adolf Hitler for the benefit of the younger generation with a shaky grasp of history) whose Luftwaffe dropped the parachute mine which killed Al just a couple of weeks later.

By the way, Randy Skretvedt is now proposing to release one volume each Monday instead of two each fortnight. He said earlier that each would be available only for a couple of weeks. I'm determined to collect the whole lot but, being somewhat unmethodical, I might fail.

I found the free Rapidshare option to be perfectly satisfactory for downloading, with a 6 Mbps broadband (ADSL) connection taking about 6 or 7 minutes each volume in the background meanwhile reading other webpages.

Randy has created the most amazing free resource ever for Bowlly fans so get downloading Dismukers! biggrin.gif

Limden
limden
Somehow I'd imagined this thread might have aroused a bit more excitement among Dismukers. Perhaps Bowlly adulation is more a British thing?

A little sooner than expected, Randy has just issued volume 49 and it can be downloaded here . It took longer to download than the earlier two for some reason, about 12 minutes with the free RapidShare option but no problem.

Just 47 volumes to go!

Limden
bob
QUOTE (limden @ Apr 2 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Somehow I'd imagined this thread might have aroused a bit more excitement among Dismukers. Perhaps Bowlly adulation is more a British thing?

A little sooner than expected, Randy has just issued volume 49 and it can be downloaded here . It took longer to download than the earlier two for some reason, about 12 minutes with the free RapidShare option but no problem.

Just 47 volumes to go!

Limden

Thanks Limden. I must have picked the right time of the day. It took me right at three minutes at a download transfer rate of around 325KB/S. Are you going to continue to provide the download link here at Dismuke's site as the files become available? That would be great if you do.

Thanks again.....Bob
limden
QUOTE (bob @ Apr 2 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Are you going to continue to provide the download link here at Dismuke's site as the files become available? That would be great if you do.

I'll certainly try Bob but the best option would be for Bowlly fans to head over to the Yahoo! Al Bowlly Group from time to time in order to check out the recent messages. Click on Message History and Randy Skretvedt's first announcement can be found at message 5363 on March 28 following which there are posts with some useful discussion.

To recapitulate, here are links to the volumes released so far:-

Volume 1

Volume 50

Volume 49

I've been critical of it in the past but surely an excellent destination for Randy's magnificent opus would be the Internet Archive ?

Limden

limden
Randy Skretvedt's latest message on the Yahoo! Al Bowlly Group:-

Volumes 1 and 50 of the Bowlly project will be taken down on Monday [April 12]. Volume 48
will be going up. Volume 49 will remain available for one more week.

Limden
Terry
QUOTE (limden @ Apr 2 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Just 47 volumes to go!

Limden

Many thanks Limden, I did indeed get quite excited, but in a silent reserved English style.................smile.gif
limden
QUOTE (Terry @ Apr 11 2010, 11:04 PM) *
a silent reserved English style.................smile.gif

Just one of the qualities that are getting hard to find in the present-day UK together with the "stiff upper lip", "an Englishman's word is his bond" and others I've forgotten. Look at the Daily Mail from time to time and you'll be happy you're in New Zealand sad.gif .

Anyway here's Volume 48

I'm sure Randy knows exactly what he's doing but I'm a bit puzzled why, after putting in so much effort, he is taking down each volume after the relatively short time of a couple of weeks. There must be a reason but it's escaping me. The whole enterprise merits archiving.

Limden

bob
QUOTE (limden @ Apr 12 2010, 11:57 AM) *
Anyway here's Volume 48

I'm sure Randy knows exactly what he's doing but I'm a bit puzzled why, after putting in so much effort, he is taking down each volume after the relatively short time of a couple of weeks. There must be a reason but it's escaping me. The whole enterprise merits archiving.

Limden

Thanks. Got the download. Maybe it's a problem of having enough storage space for all fifty volumes on his web site.

smile.gif Bob
charlie
QUOTE (bob @ Apr 13 2010, 05:15 AM) *
Thanks. Got the download. Maybe it's a problem of having enough storage space for all fifty volumes on his web site.

smile.gif Bob . Could anyone walk me through the process of downloading Als music. I am not familiar with computers. I have subscribed to Rapid share and am a premium member would be most thankful if anyone could find the time. In advance, thanks.

limden
Hello charlie. I'm pleased to see another Bowlly enthusiast appearing among the Dismukers smile.gif .

Now in principle I'd be happy to help you download Randy Skretvedt's volumes but previous experiences on this message board have taught me that computer tuition is not my strong point. I know that there are others more skilled in that art than myself, in fact I'm thinking of one member in particular but unfortunately we haven't seen him here for the last few weeks. I'm hoping that someone will be along shortly but meanwhile could you tell us a bit about your computer set-up: is it Windows (and XP or Vista or 7?) or is it a Mac?

While waiting, why not simply try to have a go? It's by trying to do things, failing and trying again and again that I have developed the limited computer skills I now have. There's nothing to lose and nothing to break!

I haven't yet found it necessary to pay anything to Rapidshare, the free option works perfectly well for me so far. A bit slow perhaps but that doesn't matter as the downloading can go on in the background while doing something else.

Limden
charlie
QUOTE (limden @ Apr 13 2010, 07:58 PM) *
Hello charlie. I'm pleased to see another Bowlly enthusiast appearing among the Dismukers smile.gif .

Now in principle I'd be happy to help you download Randy Skretvedt's volumes but previous experiences on this message board have taught me that computer tuition is not my strong point. I know that there are others more skilled in that art than myself, in fact I'm thinking of one member in particular but unfortunately we haven't seen him here for the last few weeks. I'm hoping that someone will be along shortly but meanwhile could you tell us a bit about your computer set-up: is it Windows (and XP or Vista or 7?) or is it a Mac?

While waiting, why not simply try to have a go? It's by trying to do things, failing and trying again and again that I have developed the limited computer skills I now have. There's nothing to lose and nothing to break!

I haven't yet found it necessary to pay anything to Rapidshare, the free option works perfectly well for me so far. A bit slow perhaps but that doesn't matter as the downloading can go on in the background while doing something else.

Limden

Hi! Limden: Thanks for your quick response to my appeal for assistance: I might tell you that I have read your postings with regularity and interest since you first came on the Dismukes Board. I'm using Windows XP but anything else that would be helpful to you, you would have to tell me were to find it. I'm hoping your more knowledgable personage shows upwith my solution . In the meantime,any help you may provide is greatly appreciated. With every good wish. Charlie
limden
QUOTE (charlie @ Apr 13 2010, 03:40 PM) *
I might tell you that I have read your postings with regularity and interest since you first came on the Dismukes Board.

Flattery will get you anywhere! biggrin.gif

OK, so here's two descriptions:-

First, Randy Skretvedt's own advice is here . To which I'd only add that you won't need a compressor/expander program(me) such as stuffit because Windows XP includes the necessary already. Just double-click on the downloaded zip file to unzip it.

Second, here's my method (with XP and Opera browser, other browsers will be similar) written before I remembered Randy's description.

Go to "My Music" then File>New>Folder.

Right-click on the New Folder which has appeared in My Music, select Rename and type in a new name such as Bowlly 49 for example.

Click on Randy's link for Volume 49 and then obviously you'll click on the paid-for option to download. Then Save>Save as and I expect you'll see My Music among the destinations. Double-click on My Music and Bowlly 49 should appear. Select it and Save again and downloading to Bowlly 49 starts. It will take anything from a minute or two with a fast machine and fast connection up to several hours if you have a slow dial-up connection.

When downloading is complete you'll find a zip file in folder Bowlly 49. Double-click on it and mp3s appear but you'll still need to click "Extract all files" in Folder tasks to complete.

You'll find that there's also a file Bowllys 49.doc containing documentation about the recordings and another file which I don't understand and ignore. Possibly you'll be unable to open Bowllys 49.doc in which case you'll need to download and install a suitable word-processor programme. Don't buy Word (expensive), choose free OpenOffice.

Repeat for Volume 48 and the 46(!) volumes which are to follow.

There, I've again made a simple task look very complicated but I hope it helps. Let us know how you get on.

Limden
Terry
It also looks with the Premium account, that cookies may have to be enabled. When I click on the Premium user button I get the message "Your Cookie has not been recognized. Please login below, or purchase a Premium Account. Your Account will be activated immediately.", that's because I do not have a Premium account cookie. Possibly the same thing could occur with a Premium account if cookies are disabled, though I'd have thought the cookie was to automatically login.
charlie
QUOTE (limden @ Apr 14 2010, 08:12 PM) *

First, Randy Skretvedt's own advice is here . To which I'd only add that you won't need a compressor/expander program(me) such as stuffit because Windows XP includes the necessary already. Just double-click on the downloaded zip file to unzip it.

Second, here's my method (with XP and Opera browser, other browsers will be similar) written before I remembered Randy's description.

Right-click on the New Folder which has appeared in My Music, select Rename and type in a new name such as Bowlly 49 for example.

Click on Randy's link for Volume 49 and then obviously you'll click on the paid-for option to download. Then Save>Save as and I expect you'll see My Music among the destinations. Double-click on My Music and Bowlly 49 should appear. Select it and Save again and downloading to Bowlly 49 starts. It will take anything from a minute or two with a fast machine and fast connection up to several hours if you have a slow dial-up connection.

When downloading is complete you'll find a zip file in folder Bowlly 49. Double-click on it and mp3s appear but you'll still need to click "Extract all files" in Folder tasks to complete.

You'll find that there's also a file Bowllys 49.doc containing documentation about the recordings and another file which I don't understand and ignore. Possibly you'll be unable to open Bowllys 49.doc in which case you'll need to download and install a suitable word-processor programme. Don't buy Word (expensive), choose free OpenOffice.

There, I've again made a simple task look very complicated but I hope it helps. Let us know how you get on.

Limden Thanks again Limden : I successfuly downloaded 49 played it and lost it again. I can see it is going to take some practice to be proficient at this task, but I have lots of time learn. I shall let you know how I am progressing. YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!!!!!
Thanks again . Charlie
limden
Charlie, if you've downloaded and played the vol.49 files they MUST be in your computer somewhere unless you took positive action to delete them. Even then they would be in Recycle Bin from which they could be retrieved instantly.

Try Start>Search with bowlly as search term. Wherever they are in your PC they can be moved to where you want them.

Limden
Roseman
Hello Charlie,

Saw your request for help on dowloading these AB files. Don't know if you have successfully gotten any downloads yet, but here's my two cents worth on helping out.

Go to this link which is a pictorial presentation that I've created with some text narrative to explain the process. It's a 10 step process. but don't let that deter you. It's really simple, so just follow the instructions and you'll be a pro in no time flat.

Dowloading can be challenging sometimes and these particular files are proof of that. These files are compressed (Zip file format) and this lends a couple extras to the end process that you would not normally have with non-compressed files.

Don...
limden
Charlie, there was I thinking he'd never show up! Don is brilliant at this sort of thing and his pictorial presentation demonstrates what I was saying a way back - that computer tuition is an art smile.gif No excuse for not succeeding now....

Limden
charlie
QUOTE (limden @ Apr 14 2010, 08:12 PM) *

Limden

charlie
Hello Limden and Roseman: Received your latest comunique on the Bowly downloading caper I will put it to use hopefuly tonight and let you know of my success [how could I not be successful with the info you have sent me?]. I hope there are other members who are able to share this tutorial . Again I thank you for your response. With every good wish. Charlie
Terry
Volume 47 has been uploaded : http://rapidshare.com/files/377513914/Volume47.zip
laughland
QUOTE (Terry @ Apr 19 2010, 04:10 AM) *

Let's see... that's 5 down, 45 to go. One 10th of the way there... tongue.gif
limden
The documentation file is missing from Volume 47 but all the information can be found here .

Limden
Roseman
QUOTE (laughland @ Apr 19 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Let's see... that's 5 down, 45 to go. tongue.gif

Reminds me of a song we kids use to sing on long trips that sorta went like...

50 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 50 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 49 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

49 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 49 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 48 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

48 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 48 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 47 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

47 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 47 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 46 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

46 Al Bowlly discs on the wall, 46 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 45 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

... with the original lyrics changed a little. laugh.gif

Don...
laughland
QUOTE (Roseman @ Apr 19 2010, 03:44 PM) *
Reminds me of a song we kids use to sing on long trips that sorta went like...

50 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 50 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 49 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

49 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 49 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 48 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

48 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 48 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 47 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

47 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 47 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 46 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

46 Al Bowlly discs the wall, 46 Al Bowlly discs.
Take one down and pass it around, 45 Al Bowlly discs on the wall.

... with the original lyrics changed a little. laugh.gif

Don...

I recognize the song. It doesn't exactly roll of the tongue with your new lyrics, but I still like it Don. tongue.gif
limden
Here's Volume 46

Limden
limden
And here's Volume 45 .

Charlie, how are you getting on with downloading?

Limden
limden
Volume 44

If you should have a problem with opening the Word files which are included with Randy's Volumes then you can find the same documentation in his posts on the Yahoo! Al Bowlly Group. For example the notes for Volume 44 are here.

Limden

bob
Thanks Limden. Moving right along. Only 43 to go. wink.gif

smile.gif Bob
limden
Volume 43.

This thread is on course to become the longest and most boring in this message board's history!

Limden
laughland
QUOTE (limden @ May 17 2010, 06:00 AM) *
Volume 43.

This thread is on course to become the longest and most boring in this message board's history!

Limden

I don't hear any complaints! rolleyes.gif

But seriously, for me any thread which keeps pointing out some great links to vintage music like this is far from boring!
limden
QUOTE (laughland @ May 17 2010, 09:30 AM) *
I don't hear any complaints! rolleyes.gif

But seriously, for me any thread which keeps pointing out some great links to vintage music like this is far from boring!

Thank you laughland biggrin.gif

Exciting news: Ray Pallett's long-awaited new Bowlly biography "They Called Him Al" has just been published. Details are here. It will supersede Ray's first effort "Goodnight Sweetheart" which I purchased back in 1986 at the Royal Festival Hall bookshop in London. I've just ordered my copy from Amazon.

Limden
Roseman
QUOTE (limden @ May 17 2010, 07:00 AM) *
Volume 43.
Limden

Boring... Did I read/hear boring? Not hardly. And to help prove the point, continue on...

In searching the web for some AB, I found 'Portal - Luis Nassif'. I think it's hilarious what this guy has done with these old silent movies and using Al's singing. The two togeather just seemed to create a totally new genre of entertainment that individually would not have been. Start here with Ray Noble Orchestra (1934) 'The Very Thought of You'.

Don...
limden
QUOTE (Roseman @ May 20 2010, 01:39 PM) *
Plus in searching the web for some AB, I found 'Portal - Luis Nassif'. I think it's hilarious what this guy has done with these old silent movies and using Al's singing. The two togeather just seemed to create a totally new genre of entertainment that individually would not have been. Start here with Ray Noble Orchestra (1934) 'The Very Thought of You'.

Don...

Seems to me that this Luis Nassif guy has simply misappropriated the the YT video of terencenunn35 from July 2007. It's a shame that we don't see much from Terence lately. Always good quality sound though some of his videos were rather curious.

Limden
limden
Here's Volume 42 . Don't forget that Randy means it when he says he'll take down each Volume after a few weeks!

Meanwhile I've checked on a few more of Luis Nassif's Bowlly videos .......all of them "lifted" from other YouTubers mad.gif .

Limden
limden
Randy miscalculated slightly and Volume 42 won't quite fit on to an audio CD. So he has reconfigured a Volume42new which does fit and as a bonus he's released Volume 41 a week early.

Limden
bob
QUOTE (limden @ May 25 2010, 11:27 AM) *
Randy miscalculated slightly and Volume 42 won't quite fit on to an audio CD. So he has reconfigured a Volume42new which does fit and as a bonus he's released Volume 41 a week early.

Limden

Thanks for the heads-up Limden.

smile.gif Bob
charlie
QUOTE (limden @ May 2 2010, 07:53 PM) *
And here's Volume 45 .

Charlie, how are you getting on with downloading?

Limden

Sorry Limden to be so long replying to your query of May 2nd. Have had a computer virus that put me out of the loop for 2weeks [and as a paid member of Rapid Share also, that really hurt] But anyway, I had my problem remedied with the help of my grandson's computer smarts, and am operative again. To answer your question, thanks to you and all the others that assisted me I am sure that I downloaded all the Al that was available. I will put everything on discs , just incase I have another computer malfunction and lose them again. I did find and retrieve 49 also. once again thanks Limden and all you kind people who really know the sound of good music .
limden
Here's all-American Volume 40 .

Good to know that the downloading is going well Charlie.

Limden
limden
Right on schedule here's Volume 39.

Limden
charlie
QUOTE (limden @ Jun 7 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Right on schedule here's Volume 39.

Limden

Yahoo!!! Keep em comin' Limden.
limden
Don't forget: I'm merely passing on Randy Skretvedt's announcements on the Yahoo! Al Bowlly site which fans would do well to visit (or join) in order to get Randy's news direct and much more Bowlly information besides.

Limden
limden
Regular as clockwork, here's Volume 38 .

Limden
limden
....and Volume 37 .

Randy has re-posted the earlier Volumes 38 to 50, details are here . He seems to have overlooked Volume 1 for the moment.

Limden
limden
Another week, another volume; here's Volume 36 .

I'm wondering, has anyone done anything similar to Randy - that is to collect every available recording by a single artist or band and then make the whole lot available on the internet for free? The nearest I can think of is the Jack Hylton Archive and I have the feeling that's not complete. Any others?

Limden
bob
Thanks Limden again for taking the time to post the Al Bowlly download link every week.

smile.gif Bob

limden
If it's helpful Bob I'm happy to continue smile.gif . Here's Volume 35 .

Limden
limden
....and here's Volume 34 .

Limden
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.